Tuesday, February 23, 2016

BAKED OATMEAL (GRANOLA)

I get tired of eating the same thing for breakfast every morning. The other day I decided to bake this Baked Oatmeal from my Amish cookbook, The Best of Amish Friends Cookbook Collection. The recipe belongs to Barbara King of Paradise, PA.

I followed her recipe but thought I would add a little dried fruit since I had substituted stevia for the sugar. I ate it hot for breakfast that morning, but while I was eating it, I couldn't help but wonder what it would taste like if I crumbled it and served it over my Greek yogurt. Anxious to see how it tasted, I fixed it that way a few hours later for my lunch. That is how my husband and I have been enjoying it since. You can heat it in the microwave for about 30 seconds or just crumble it cold over the yogurt. Either way it is super!


BAKED OATMEAL (GRANOLA)

2       eggs
1        cup sugar (or stevia)
1/2    cup butter or margarine, melted
3       cups oatmeal (I did use Old Fashioned)
1        cup milk (skim will work)
2       teaspoons baking powder
Pinch salt

OPTIONAL:

Add a 1/2 cup dried fruit of your choice. (I added 1/2 cup of chopped dates.)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 2-quart baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.

Combine the eggs, sugar, and butter in a bowl. Beat with a whisk.

Add the oats, milk, baking powder, and salt; stir until well blended.

Pour mixture into baking dish.

Bake for 30 minutes.






Add milk or scoop of ice cream. OR crumble it and serve it over yogurt. Store leftovers in refrigerator.


No comments:

Post a Comment