Monday, January 25, 2016

SWEET POTATO BISCUITS

I love sweet potatoes and am always trying to find ways to use them in recipes. I found a recipe for sweet potato biscuits in the new Amish cookbook I got for Christmas but wasn't completely pleased with the results. 

When I made a big pot of Steak and Vegetable soup the other day, I decided to play around with Lorraine Brumbacher's recipe and came up with these delicious tasting biscuits. They were so good....I ate two of them. The recipe made 6 biscuits.



SWEET POTATO BISCUITS

1       cup flour
2      teaspoons baking powder
1       teaspoon salt
1/4   cup stevia (You could use sugar if you preferred.)
1/2   cup mashed sweet potatoes
3      tablespoons shortening
1/4   cup of milk

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray. (I used a metal pie plate I have.)

Combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and stevia. Cut in the shortening (I just use my fingers.) Then add the sweet potatoes. 

Add enough milk to make a dough.

Kneed a couple of times on a floured board and flatten to desired thickness with your hands.

Cut biscuits with a glass or biscuit cutter.

Place on pan and 
bake for 15 minutes.

Pass the butter and serve warm.




They are great warmed up also. This is how I do it so they taste just like they did when I first baked them. I turn the oven on to 350 and place the cold biscuit in a pan and put in the oven. When the signal goes off indicating that the oven has reached the desired temperature, I remove the pan. The biscuit will be perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment