Tuesday, January 19, 2016

HONEY BUN CAKE

Okay, I confess. When I was ready to leave Hillcrest, there was still one piece of this Honey Bun Cake left in the pan and I took it back home with me. I couldn't help it. It is soooooo good.

I had shared another recipe for Honey Bun Cake from a different Amish cookbook with my friend Janice to make when our canasta group came over to her house. It was really good tasting, but she wouldn't let me take a picture of it. She had followed the recipe and the glaze was so thin she ended up adding a whole bunch more powdered sugar. Then she ended up making a cream cheese frosting to put on top to hide the holes she had made.

After I got home I found this other recipe in my The Farmhouse Kitchen cookbook from Justin & Naomi Miller. While similar, it was different. I decided to give it a try and take it to Hillcrest to share. I ended up giving her the piece I had brought home from Hillcrest and she liked it better.


HONEY BUN CAKE

CAKE:
1       yellow cake mix
3/4  cup oil
4      eggs
1       teaspoon vanilla
8      oz. sour cream


TOPPING:
1       cup brown sugar
1       tablespoon cinnamon

GLAZE:
2       cups powdered sugar
4       tablespoons milk
1        teaspoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease a jelly roll pan (10 x 15 - inches)

Mix together the ingredients for the cake.

Spread into the jelly roll pan. (I put spoonful around the pan and then spread them together. Always leave a little bit in the bowl to add where it is needed to fill in a hole.)

Combine the topping ingredients and sprinkle over the top of the cake batter.

Swirl with spatula or knife.

Bake for 40 - 50 minutes. (I used a stoneware jelly roll pan so my cake was done in 25 minutes. I would strongly suggest checking your cake after 20 - 25 minutes. Their cooking time seems too long for me.)

Prepare glaze and 
pour on cake as soon as you take it out of the oven.




1 comment:

  1. sounds pretty good and easy without taking a lot of time to accomplish. thank you

    ReplyDelete