Friday, January 29, 2016

GUILT-FREE DOUBLE CHOCOLATE WALNUT BROWNIES

I needed something that was going to be quick and easy to make to take to Hillcrest Thrift Shop last Tuesday morning, and this recipe I found in Desserts Every Night! cookbook sounded just perfect.

Jo Anna M. Lund uses substitutions that are fat-free and sugar-free to lower the calories in this cookbook. Sometimes these substitutions do not produce a tasty result. These Double Chocolate Walnut Brownies are not very sweet tasting and I wasn't sure that the volunteers would enjoy them. Well, I was wrong. Everyone made a point of telling me how good they were. I didn't even get one to eat. (I kept a couple at home for my husband and me to enjoy .... so I didn't totally get left out.) 

If you don't care for reduced calorie treats or have all of the fat-free or sugar-free substitutions, feel free to use the fat and sugar products.

Did I mention how moist these brownies are? That is the one comment everyone had.

I renamed these brownies....



QUILT-FREE DOUBLE CHOCOLATE WALNUT BROWNIES

1-1/2        cups flour
3/4          cup stevia or Splenda
1/4           cup unsweetened cocoa
1               teaspoon baking powder
1/2           teaspoon baking soda
1/2           cup chopped walnuts
1/4           cup mini chocolate chips
1/2           cup plain fat-free yogurt (I used Greek plain fat-free yogurt)
1/3           cup fat-free mayonnaise (I had reduced fat mayo that I used.)
1               teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4          cup water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9 x 13 - inch bake pan with cooking spray.


In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar substitute, cocoa, baking powder, and baking soda.

Stir in walnuts and chips.


In a medium bowl, combine the yogurt, mayo, vanilla, and water. Mix well with a wire whisk until blended.



Add the yogurt mixture to the flour mixture. Mix gently just to combine.


Spread batter evenly in pan. (It won't be very thick. You might want to drop the batter by spoonfuls around the bottom and then spread the blobs together.)


Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Place pan on a wire rack and allow to cool for at least 15 minutes before cutting.

Cover with a lid when completely cooled if you plan to serve them later or the next day as I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment