Wednesday, January 6, 2016

CRACKER CANDY

When we were celebrating Christmas with our older son and his family in CO, dil Sara had made this "to-die-for" treat she called Cracker Candy. When she told me how she made it, I remembered seeing a recipe from Miriam Miller's cookbook called The Wooden Spoon.

I love 17-year old Miriam's authentic Amish cooking cookbook, but so many of the recipes remind me of some of my mother's recipes....not totally complete with instructions. That is really hard for me since I generally consider myself a "rule follower". 

Here is Miriam's recipe which she called simply 

CRACKERS TO SNACK

1     stick oleo          3/4      cup brown sugar

Cook a few minutes. Pour over 24 soda crackers. Bake in 375 degree oven for 5 minutes. Take out; put chocolate chips and nuts on top. Put back in oven for a few minutes.

Since I had so many questions, I asked Sara to share her recipe with me.  Sara's recipe isn't quite twice as much, it is close enough that I figure the two recipes are enough alike to be considered the same. (Miriam only used 24 crackers and I used 40. Sara's recipe was called Cracker Candy which I like.



CRACKER CANDY

2       sticks butter
1        cup + 2 tablespoons brown sugar
1        tube saltine crackers + a couple extra
1        6-oz bag chocolate chips (1 cup)
nuts   (I chopped up 1/4 cup)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. 


Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil and then spray the foil with non-stick cooking spray.


Lay the crackers in a single layer on the foil.


Bring the butter and brown sugar to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. (I stirred the mixture constantly until it came to a boil.)


Boil for 3 minutes.


Pour the mixture over the crackers covering them completely.


Place in the oven and bake for 5 minutes.


Carefully remove the sheet and sprinkle the chocolate chips over the top.


Cover with another piece of foil and let it set for 5 minutes.


Remove foil and spread the melted chips to evenly cover the crackers.


Sprinkle the nuts on top and lightly press them down.


Recover with foil and place in freezer for at least 30 minutes or until
the chocolate has completely set. (I placed another cookie sheet in the freezer and then placed the hot sheet on top to protect my freezer shelf.)


Remove and peel the foil off the cracker/candy.


Break into pieces and enjoy.



No comments:

Post a Comment