Tuesday, January 12, 2016

AMISH CHICKEN BREAST CASSEROLE

Last week I told you we would be eating a lot of chicken this month as I had found several different recipes for chicken dishes. I shared the Chickenetti then. My husband and I really enjoyed it. 

Well, this week I am sharing the second dish I tried. We might like it more. It's hard to say. The stuffing I used gave it a really good flavor. Since I don't usually cook with onions and peppers (this recipe didn't call for any of those), my husband does like when I make something that isn't too "bland". I did make a couple of changes, but I don't think those changes changed the integrity of the recipe. 

This recipe also came from my Farmhouse Kitchen cookbook and was contributed by Mary Lengacher. This is a cookbook from the Amish community of Greenville, PA.


CHICKEN BREAST CASSEROLE

4       boneless chicken breasts (I had 2 really fat ones that I sliced and made 4 thinner breasts.)
4       slices cheese (I used about a cup of shredded Colby Jack cheese)
1/2   cup sour cream
1/2   cup milk
1       can cream of mushroom or cream of chicken soup (I did use the latter.)
1       box chicken stuffing (I used 2 cups of Pepperidge Farm Herb Seasoned Classic Stuffing)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. 


Place chicken breasts in bottom of pan, casserole dish, or small roaster.

Place a slice of cheese on each piece. (I just sprinkled the cheese over the chicken pieces. I forgot to take a picture. Oops.)


Mix together the sour cream, milk, and soup.


Pour over the breasts.






Melt 3 tablespoons butter and toss with 2 cups of the stuffing.


Put on top. 
Cover with lid and bake for 1-1/2 hours. (Since I had sliced the chicken breasts into thinner breasts, I baked mine for 45 minutes.)




4 comments:

  1. This would be much better without having to copy all the blue in the background of the words. Otherwise, it looks good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ??? When I click on the print button at the bottom, I have a white background. Even when I remove the images, it is still white. Sorry about your problems. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. Was looking for a recipe for chicken breasts and decided to look up different varieties to make it thank you for sharing your recipe I have a good idea on how to fix mine. I like experiment with imy recipe to make it taste better. Thank you so much

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you found my post and it has inspired you. Thanks for stopping by.
      Patricia

      Delete