Wednesday, December 23, 2015

SUGAR SCRUB

How many times have you found yourself saying, "I wish I had known...."? Well, I wish I had known how easy it is to make those expensive scrubs. I wanted to buy one once when we were on vacation, but just couldn't make myself pay the $20 they wanted for the jar. 

When I saw a pin on Pinterest a while back for a Lemon Sugar Scrub, I decided I would give it a try and give to some friends at Christmas. I thought I had saved the pin but when I got ready to try it, I couldn't find it. I had remembered that it used lemon oil not lemon juice. (I had bought a little bottle of it after seeing the pin.

When I did a google search, I found a number of different websites with similar and different recipes. After reading quite a few of them (I even went to the second page of listings.), I decided to just get started on my own.

I made the first batch and used a little of the Lemongrass oil I had bought in Jamesport at the Amish grocery store. I filled the jars with the sugar/coconut oil mixture and then stirred in a scant 1/8 tsp of the lemongrass oil. (I actually have a measuring spoon that is for a "pinch" and that is what I used.) For the second batch, I decided to just omit the oil, and go with the smell from the coconut oil. (I do love that smell.

This is what they looked like when I was finished. I made two separate batches to make the 6 half pint jars.



I cut a piece of wrapping paper the size of the lid and used a little glue in the center of the lid to hold the paper when the jar is opened. I had some festive address labels that I used to label the jars. 

I hope my friends like to use it as much as I do. It just takes a little and your hands feel so good after you rinse it off and gently dry your hands.

SUGAR SCRUB

2       cups granulated sugar
1/2+   cup of coconut oil (heated if necessary to make it a liquid)
100% essential oil (optional) (You can add the oil to the individual jar if you want to use different fragrances or just omit.)



Combine the sugar and the liquid coconut oil and stir til well mixed. I added just a little bit more than 1/2 cup, but add oil slowing until you get the consistency you want. (Coconut oil solidifies below 77 degrees F. Just heat amount in the microwave and stir til it is liquid. I worked in 20-30 second intervals.)





When you have it the consistency you like, fill containers.  (I made the first batch with a little more coconut oil than I did the second batch.) Add essential oil if you like. Can decorate how ever you wish, if you plan to give it as gifts. This recipe will fill 3 - half pint containers.





How to use:

Wash your hands or feet first to clean them. Then rub or massage your hands or feet well with a small amount of the scrub. Rinse with water and gently dry them. It will remove dead skin cells and make your skin feel so soft.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Patricia! I want to try this too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ladies I gave it to at Hillcrest Thrift Shop were so pleased. I love the way my hands still feel soft after using it on Monday. Three times a week should be plenty and it doesn't take a lot. That means it will last quite a while. Enjoy Jacqueline.

      Delete