Wednesday, December 2, 2015

BLUEBERRY-FILLED CAKE

When I took this Blueberry-Filled Cake in to the Community Room at Hillcrest Thrift Shop before lunch yesterday, Volunteer Mary came in and asked me what I had brought. After I told her, she sat down and cut one of the serving pieces in half and started eating it. As soon as she finished it, she preceded to take the other half and put it on her plate to eat. Then she laughed and said, "I should have taken the whole piece to begin with." Assistant Josh ate his piece before he ate his lunch. He said it had taken over as his #1 favorite of all I had brought.

Do you get the idea that this cake is out of this world delicious? When I got home from my 3-hour shift at the register, almost the first thing out of my husband's mouth was, "That dessert you made was really good."


BLUEBERRY-FILLED CAKE

3/4        cup margarine, divided and softened
1-1/2      cups sugar, divided
2            eggs
1             cup lemon flavored yogurt
2-1/2     cups all-purpose flour, divided
1/2         teaspoon salt
1-1/2      teaspoons baking powder
1/2         teaspoon baking soda
1             teaspoon vanilla
1             (21-ounce) can blueberry pie filling
1             teaspoon cinnamon
1/2         cup chopped nuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a ( x 13 - inch pan. (I used my homemade Pan Grease.)

Cream 1/2 cup of the margarine (1 stick softened) and 1 cup of the sugar in a mixer bowl until light and fluffy.

Add the eggs and yogurt; mix well.

Sift 2 cups of the flour with the salt, baking powder, and baking soda into a bowl.

Add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture. Stir in the vanilla.

Spread half of the batter mixture into the prepared pan. (I used an ice cream scoop to divide the batter in half. The layer will be thin.)

Spread the pie filling over top. (This time I used a small ice tea spoon to drop dollops over the top and then carefully spread them out to cover the top. I didn't go all the way to the edge.)

Cover with the rest of the batter. (Again, I used a small spoon to drop dollops over the pie filling and then spread the dollops together to cover. It is a good idea to save a little of the batter to use in the bare places to cover it all.



Combine the remaining 1/4 cup of margarine, softened (1/2 stick) with the 1/2 cup of sugar, cinnamon, remaining 1/2 cup of flour, and nuts that you have combined in a bowl. Mix until crumbly. You can break up any larger blogs you might get when it is mixed together.

Sprinkle over the batter. It will cover the whole area nicely.

Bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until the cake test done. I didn't test it as the pie filling is going to coat the toothpick. I cooked it for the 40 minutes and just pressed the center of the cake to make sure it was done - didn't sink to touch)

Cool on wire rack.


May substitute other pie fillings, but the blueberry is absolutely delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment