Wednesday, December 30, 2015

AUNT CARRIE'S BUTTERSCOTCH ICE-BOX COOKIES

I'm loving these cookies that you mix up and then store them in the refrigerator or freezer to slice and bake as you wish. I mixed these butterscotch cookies and added them to the collection I took to the firemen for my Advent Random Acts of Kindness. The recipe is another one from my from Amish and Mennonite kitchens cookbook.

I don't know what the firemen thought, but we like them. Because the dates aren't cooked before adding them to the dough, you don't always get a nice clean cut when you slice the cookies (if you hit a chopped date).




AUNT CARRIE'S BUTTERSCOTCH ICE-BOX COOKIES

1         cup butter
1         cup brown sugar
3-1/2 cups flour
2        eggs
1         teaspoon soda
1         teaspoon cream of tartar
1         cup chopped dates
1         cup chopped nuts


Cream butter and sugar together til creamy. 
Add eggs and beat well.


Sift dry ingredients together and gradually add to creamed mixture. blend well.


Stir in chopped dates and nuts.


Form into rolls on a platter. (I used my cutting board covered with a little bit of flour.) Cover and refrigerate overnight.
(I wrapped mine with plastic wrap and put them in the freezer.
I took them out about 30 to 60 minutes before I was going to bake them.)





Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.


Slice thin
(I lined my cookie sheet with parchment paper.)


and bake 8 to 10 minutes
Remove and finish cooling on wire rack.

2 comments:

  1. Is flour missing from the recipe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh! How could I leave out such an important ingredient? Thank you for catching my error. I hope you will try them. They are really good.

      Delete