Monday, November 9, 2015

PUMPKIN PIE RICE PUDDING


I first made this Pumpkin Pie Rice Pudding last fall and used instant brown rice. I didn't like it but my husband did. (He doesn't remember this because he's not a rice pudding fan, but he ate the whole batch over several days. Really!) 

Fortunately, I didn't throw the recipe out. Lately I keep picking it up and so I bought some instant white rice the other day at the store and decided to give it a try again, but this time with white rice instead of the brown rice. (The main reason I didn't like the one I made last year with the brown rice is because the rice wasn't done even cooking the 20 minutes.) I also decided to reduce the amount of pumpkin pie spice. (I used only 1 teaspoonful this time. It gave it a hint of the pumpkin pie spice so if you really like the taste you might want to use the full 2 teaspoonfuls.)

Anyway, it is so good. Actually tastes like rice pudding. but it is so much easier and faster. I hope you will give it a try.


PUMPKIN PIE RICE PUDDING

1-1/2        cups Minute white rice, uncooked
1               can (12 fl.oz.) evaporated milk (fat free works)
1               cup canned pumpkin
1               cup water
1/2           cup packed brown sugar (I used 1/4 cup brown sugar/stevia blend)
1 - 2         teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1/4           teaspoon salt
1               teaspoon vanilla

Combine rice, evaporated milk, pumpkin, water, sugar, pumpkin pie spice, and salt in medium saucepan.

Cook over medium heat 20 minutes, stirring frequently. (I started stirring it more after it came to a boil.)

Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.

Let stand 5 - 10 minutes before eating.






Serve garnished with a dusting of pumpkin pie spice, graham crackers, whipped cream, or pecans, if desired. I had some Cool Whip and topped it with a spoonful. Yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment