Thursday, November 19, 2015

HARVEST SPINACH SALAD

Yesterday my husband and I did something we rarely do .... we went to the movies. Normally my friends and I, aka Movie Goers, go to the movies on the third Wednesday of the month. This month everyone seemed to be busy and so Leader Sue canceled the gathering. My husband isn't usually interested in paying to see most movies, but this time he wanted to see Bridge of Spies, the new Steven Spielberg movie staring Tom Hanks. To be honest, I wasn't sure I wanted to see if after seeing the previews earlier. BUT I am so glad we did. It was so good; the acting was excellent. If you haven't seen it, I would highly recommend it.

Earlier while my husband went to work out at the Y, I worked on the shower curtain I am making with my favorite quilt square, the churn dash. It is looking so pretty. Can't wait to get it finished even though I won't be hanging it until the spring.

When the movie was over, we went to Golden Corral and enjoyed an Early Bird Dinner. We haven't been in a while and everything looked so delicious. It was hard choosing what to eat.

Then we went to Kohl's so I could spend my Kohl's Cash I had earned when Friend Janice and I went shopping. With the Senior Discount and their sales, I saved more than I spent. That's always good, don't you think?

Our last stop for the day was a trip to Hillcrest Thrift Shop. My husband wanted to get some things. Wednesday is also their Senior Day with all clothing 50% off; that's better than my 25% volunteer discount. He found a really nice wool blazer coat and some other things.

It was such a fun special day that I enjoyed with my husband! 

This Harvest Spinach Salad looked so delicious in the picture in the Goosebury Patches' 101 Homestyle Favorites cookbook. But then they wouldn't use a picture that didn't show the dish off perfectly, would they? 

I take so many pictures trying to get just the perfect picture to illustrate what I am doing for this blog. I don't always succeed, but then I'm not a professional photographer and am not using an expensive camera...just my Samsung cell phone.

If you like salads, you have to try this one even if my picture isn't great. The dressing is one you could make and use with any green salad.



HARVEST SPINACH SALAD

1        bunch fresh spinach, stems removed
5       slices bacon, crisply cooked and crumbled
5       green onions, sliced
1/2    cup sliced almonds
1        Red Delicious apple, cored, and thinly sliced
1/4    lb. Monterey Jack cheese, cubed

1/4    cup olive oil
3       tablespoons white wine vinegar
1        teaspoon sugar
1/2    teaspoon dry mustard

Toss together the spinach, bacon, green onions, almonds, apple, and cheese in a large salad bowl.

In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, sugar, and mustard. (I actually mixed mine in a canning jar. You can shake it up really well (after you put a lid on the jar, of course - ha) and then it stores really well in the refrigerator if you don't use it all.



Toss dressing with salad; serve immediately.

2 comments:

  1. Patricia, I just wanted to leave you a note to let you know I made this Harvest Spinach Salad tonight. My usually-allergic-to-anything-green husband LOVED it and had a second helping! High praise, indeed. Thanks for sharing all your recipes. I have been having a lovely time perusing your archive and "harvesting" delights to add to my collection. I'm sure it's a lot of work maintaining the blog, and I wanted you to know you have readers who thoroughly enjoy your posts. Liz B in PA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW! Thank you so much Liz! You just gave me an early Christmas present. Most of the time I thoroughly enjoy what I am doing. Just kidding. It is always good to know that people are enjoying my efforts. Your thoughtfulness in expressing your appreciation is priceless.

      Delete