Tuesday, October 6, 2015

HONEY GLAZED CARROTS

When our church had a picnic and everyone had to bring a side dish (the BBQ small group smoked the meat - yum-my!), I wanted to take something that I didn't figure everyone else would bring. I thought there would be enough baked beans, potato salad, etc. So I decided to take some carrots. 

Yes, carrots. I remembered seeing a recipe just a few days before for glazed carrots. I could take them in my West Bend Penguin Hot and Cold Server. Most people think they are just an ice bucket.... but it keeps things hot also, didn't you know? I just had to go buy some carrots since I had everything else.

I saw the recipe in my The Farmhouse Kitchen cookbook. It is a cookbook from the Amish Community in Greenville, PA. Mathias & Naomi Mast contributed the recipe. I made more than the recipe called for and increased the amounts, but I will just give it to you as it is in the cookbook.



HONEY GLAZED CARROTS

1-1/4     lb. carrots
3          tablespoons butter
2          tablespoons honey
1           tablespoon brown sugar or maple syrup (I used the latter.)


Cook the carrots in water with salt til soft. (I actually steamed mine.)


Melt the butter in a skillet. 


Stir in honey and brown sugar or maple syrup.

Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly.


Add carrots and toss gently.







Serves 4 - 6.

Here are mine in my penguin ice bucket.

When I was going through the line getting my food, I heard a mother say, "Oh good, carrots." as she was fixing a plate for her child. They were pretty good. They were also all gone when the picnic was over.

3 comments:

  1. I didn't know I was Amish, LOL. I came up with this idea when my son was born and he still loves these carrots. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I often find recipes in my Amish cookbooks that I have found in other non-Amish cookbooks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks. I often find recipes in my Amish cookbooks that I have found in other non-Amish cookbooks.

    ReplyDelete