Wednesday, October 14, 2015

CHOC-OAT-CHIP COOKIES

Cookie jars were made for holding cookies. I guess that is why I hate seeing an empty cookie jar. Since I am using a Lance glass jar that my daddy had in his service station, it is very obvious when it is empty. I also have a Tom's Toasted Peanuts jar that he had, but it is in the china hutch looking pretty. I guess I should trade them out so I can enjoy seeing it.

This recipe for Choc-Oat-Chip Cookies was on an ad for Quick Quaker Oats that I cut out years ago. It said it made about 5 dozen cookies so I decided to cut the recipe in half. (I didn't want to completely fill up the jar. ha) I also decided to experiment with the cooking process when I had trouble getting the first pan of cookies off the cookie sheet. The cookie looked okay, but they did kinda stick to the pan. I will show you my results at the bottom. I think I liked the looks of the cookies baked on parchment paper the best. They all tasted good, just looked a little different.


CHOC-OAT-CHIP COOKIES

1         cup (2 sticks) margarine or butter, softened (1 stick)
1-1/4  cups firmly packed brown sugar (1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons)
1/2      cup granulated sugar (1/4 cup)
2         eggs ( 1 egg)
2         tablespoons milk ( 1 tablespoon)
2         teaspoons vanilla ( 1 teaspoon)
1-3/4   cup all-purpose flour (3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons)
1          teaspoon baking soda (1/2 teaspoon)
1/2      teaspoon salt ( 1/4 teaspoon)
2-1/2   cups Quaker oats (Quick or Old Fashioned, uncooked) ( 1-1/4 cups Quick)
One 12- ounce package ( 2 cups) Semi-sweet chocolate morsels (1 cup)
1        cup chopped nuts ( 1/2 cup)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Beat margarine and sugars until creamy.

Add eggs, milk, and vanilla; beat well.

Add flour, baking soda, and salt (I combined these together first); mix well.

Stir in oats, chocolate morsels, and nuts; mix well.

Drop by rounded measuring tablespoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet. ( I used my scoop that holds 1 tablespoon of water. I also preferred the cookies baked on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.)

Bake for 9 to 10 minutes. (It took the full 10 minutes on the parchment paper.) 

Cool 1 minute on cookie sheet before removing to cool on wire rack.

Made exactly 3 dozen cookies.

Using an ungreased cookie sheet and baked for 9 minutes. Cookies looked really good.

The cookie sheet after I took them off.

Then I decided to use my darker Pampered Chef Stoneware pan.(You can tell I have used it a lot.) The cookies spread more, came off clean, 
but they scrunched up removing them. They are the ones on the far right in the picture. The ones on the far left were baked on the parchment paper.

The ones on the parchment paper took an extra minute to cook as did the ones on the stoneware pan. They didn't spread as much though and of course came off the paper really easily.

Bottom line....I will use the parchment paper the next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment