Wednesday, October 21, 2015

CHEESE BISCUITS

These Cheese Biscuits from Billy, the Kid Cookbook, a cookbook I saw in Phoenix when we vacationed there back in April. I had misplaced the recipe and just found it when I was going through some souvenirs I had in a bag from the trip. 

I have made the biscuits twice because they are that good. I also needed to test the cooking time as the recipe had you cook the biscuits at 400 degrees F for 5 minutes and then reducing the temperature to 300 degrees F continue cooking for 10 more minutes. 

Well, the first time I made them I followed those directions. The only problem was the biscuits weren't done. I ended up increasing the temperature to 350 degrees and cooked them at least 5 more minutes. The second time I baked them, I decided to just turn the temperature down to 350 degrees F and cook them for the 10 minutes. I had to cook them about 3 more minutes though because they weren't done. I think next time I will keep the temperature at 400 degrees and just watch them to make sure the cheese doesn't burn.


CHEESE BISCUITS

2       cups flour
2       teaspoons baking powder
1/2    teaspoon salt
1/2    cup grated cheddar cheese
2       tablespoons shortening
1        cup milk

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.

Add the cheese.

Blend in the shortening.

Gradually add the milk.

Drop dough from a large tablespoon to make 8 biscuits. You can use a smaller amount to make more smaller biscuits. The first time I made them I made 8 biscuits. The second time though, I made 10. The latter ones were a good size.

Bake for 12 - 15 minutes or til done, watching toward the end that the cheese doesn't burn. Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment