Friday, October 23, 2015

BANANA - APPLE MUFFINS


Last year I added my dentist to my list of places to take my goodies. They really enjoy and appreciate them. Dr. G. told me I didn't have to feel like I should bring something every time I come. I told him to consider it a bribe ... so they will be very gentle with me. 

Earlier this year when I went for my 6 - month cleaning/checkup, he discussed with me re replacing a crown I had done at least 30 years ago when we lived in Arkansas. He wasn't the first dentist who didn't especially like the looks of it; my dentist in CA mentioned replacing it also. When I went back a couple of weeks ago for my checkup/cleaning, the subject was brought up again. He calmed my nerves and so I scheduled the appointment to have the work done. I guess it was good I finally gave in as he said it was "leaking" a little on the back side. I certainly prefer not having to have a root canal.

My "bribe" for the initial appointment was these delicious Banana - Apple Muffins. I made them before I went (it helped pass away the time before I had to go) so they would still be warm before I went. I think everyone but Sandy, Dr. G.'s dental assistant, enjoyed one before I left.

The recipe was in a Beta Sigma Phi Food in the Fast Lane cookbook (1992) that I got at one of the garage sales Friend Janice and I went to. I did alter the recipe a little bit, but Kathleen Freeman from Boulder, CO contributed the original recipe.


BANANA - APPLE MUFFINS

1/2         cup butter or margarine, softened (1 stick)
3/4        cup sugar
2            eggs
1-1/2      tablespoons milk
1             banana, mashed (1/3 cup)
2            cups all-purpose flour
1/4         teaspoon salt
2            teaspoons baking powder
1/2         teaspoon baking soda
1             teaspoon vanilla
1             large apple, finely chopped (1-1/3 cups)
2            tablespoons oatbran

Preheat oven  to 350 degrees F. Grease or spray a 12- cup muffin tin.

Cream butter and sugar in mixer bowl until light and fluffy. (I heated a stick of margarine in the microwave on high for 10 seconds to soften.)

Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.

Mix milk and banana in a small bowl. Add to better; mix well.

Combine the flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda together with a whisk. Add to batter; mix well.

Stir in vanilla, apple, and oatbran with a wooden spoon.

Fill batter evenly filling each cup about 3/4 full.

Bake for 20 minutes or until muffins test done with a toothpick.

Cool slightly on wire rack and remove (I ran a knife around the inside edges to loosen.)

Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment