Thursday, August 27, 2015

TAKE-ALONG CAKE

My schedule at Hillcrest Thrift Shop has changed back to working the second shift at the register. I thought I was going to be picking up my granddaughter from preschool and taking her to daycare on Tuesdays and so I changed my schedule. Turns out plans changed and a mother of one of the students in the class is taking her. I was excited about seeing Maddy every week. So now I have the morning to make whatever I am going to share with the volunteers when I go in on Tuesdays. 

This week I had so many choices, but finally settled on a cake called Take-Along Cake. It used a chocolate cake mix and I know how much the volunteers like chocolate. I didn't have the Swiss chocolate cake mix the recipe called for but I think any chocolate cake mix would work, even a sugar-free one (It was pretty sweet tasting.)

Well, sure enough, it was definitely a winner with everyone. I brought home the crumbs in the bottom of the pan.

The recipe came from a booklet for Duncan Hines called B*A*K*E Your Best. (1990) I found it in a tub full of "booklet" cookbooks at an estate sale for $. 50 each. Like I said, I have marked half a dozen or more recipes in it that I want to try.

It may remind you of a cake called an Earthquake cake, but this one is different.



TAKE-ALONG CAKE

1       package chocolate cake mix - Use your favorite - even a sugar-free one if you like. (I used a German chocolate cake mix)
1       package (12 ounces) semi-sweet chocolate chips
1       cup miniature marshmallows
1/4    cup butter or margarine, melted
1/2   cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2   cup chopped pecans or walnuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9 x 13 - inch pan. (I really missed my HOMEMADE Pan Grease. It makes this so easy. I need to make me some more.)


Prepare the cake mix following the package directions.


Add chocolate chips and marshmallows to the batter.


Pour into pan.


Drizzle the melted butter over the batter.


Sprinkle with brown sugar


and top with nuts.








Bake for 45 to 55 minutes. (I baked mine about 47 minutes and tested it with a toothpick. It had started pulling away from the sides of the pan at 45 minutes but the center was soft to the touch.)

Cool on wire rack.


Cut into squares 12 - 16.

Serve.









The chips do seem to drop to the bottom and the marshmallows stay on top giving the top the special look with the brown sugar and nuts. Make sure you grease and flour the pan well as the chips will tend to stick to the bottom.

Remember if you want to print the recipe using the print icon below, you will have the option to remove images when the print window opens. If you do not see the print icon, you need to tap/click on the title of this post and it will take you to just this post. Then you will see the print icon with the share buttons. Home will return you to my blog's most recent posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment