Tuesday, August 25, 2015

STEPHENSON'S RESTAURANT'S APPLE FARM CAKE

Saturday my husband and I went to Parkville's Days in nearby Parkville. We especially wanted to go to the Farmers' Market, but everything else was enjoyable also. We ended up buying several things ---some lotion made with goat milk and a jar of mulberry jam from the vendors and even a few things from a merchant in Parkville. At the Farmers' Market, we got some fresh green beans and new potatoes, and a bushel of #2 apples to make some applesauce, and then my husband bought an Italian cucumber because he had never seen one before.

I plan to put the apples in the slow cooker tonight and let them cook all night to make the applesauce. I'll let you know how it turns out. After the lady dumped the apples in two big plastic bags, I saw that there were a few different red apples in there mixed in with the green ones. 

Since we didn't have anything sweet in the house, I decided to try something with some of the red apples. That's when I found this little spiral cookbook that contains recipes from Stephenson's Restaurant. I don't think any exist anymore, but anyone who is from the area is familiar with the Stephenson Orchards and Restaurants. 

When you are mixing this up, you will wonder if I left out some ingredients. When the recipe says "(batter is thick)", they aren't kidding. In fact, I would hesitate in using the word batter. BUT the results are really delicious. It didn't say to, but I decided to serve it with ice cream. I think that is a necessity.



APPLE FARM CAKE

1/4       cup shortening
1           cup sugar (I did use stevia)
1           egg
4          cups chopped apples (about 4 medium apples)
1           cup unsifted flour (I used 1/2 cup all-purpose flour and 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour)
1           teaspoon baking soda
1/8       teaspoon salt
1           teaspoon cinnamon
1/2       teaspoon nutmeg
1/4       teaspoon cloves (I omitted because I didn't have any)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease or spray a 9 - inch square baking pan or equivalent. (I used my 8 x 10 inch pan)


Cream shortening and sugar. Mix in egg.


Add apples (to coat)


Sift together the rest of the ingredients.


Add to apple mixture. (I used a rubber spatula.) Mix well (batter is thick). You actually just end of coating the apples as there isn't really much batter.


Spread into pan. (I dumped the mixture in the dish and then flatten it out using fingers I had wet with a little water.)


Bake about 45 minutes. 

While warm cut into squares.


Sprinkle with powdered sugar. (I did forget to do this with the first servings but did it later.)


You might want to check out their Banana Bread recipe also. It is possibly the best Banana Bread I have ever eaten. 



Remember if you want to print the recipe using the print icon below, you will have the option to remove images when the print window opens. If you do not see the print icon, you need to tap/click on the title of this post and it will take you to just this post. Then you will see the print icon with the share buttons. Home will return you to my blog's most recent posts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment