Monday, August 17, 2015

KEY LIME TEA MUFFINS

Three or four weeks ago on our Estate Sales Friday Janice and I ate at Sweet Tomatoes for lunch. The highlight of our meal was the Key Lime Muffins. Before we left, I told Janice I had to find a recipe for them. 

I found a recipe for Lemon Tea Muffins in my old red checker board covered Better Homes & Gardens Cookbook. I thought instead of using lemon juice I would use Key lime juice and see how they tasted. 

Well, the recipe isn't a copycat of the Sweet Tomatoes Key Lime Muffins, but these are really good. So light, not heavy at all like so many muffins. Probably the beaten egg whites is the secret. 

I will continue to look for one like Sweet Tomatoes' but until then, I'll just enjoy these Key Lime Tea Muffins.



KEY LIME TEA MUFFINS

1       cup sifted flour
1       teaspoon baking powder
1/4   teaspoon salt
1/2   cup butter (1 stick)
1/2   cup sugar
2      eggs, separated
3      tablespoons Key lime juice
1       teaspoon grated lemon peel
2      tablespoon sugar (I use stevia)
1/4   teaspoon ground cinnamon  

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. F. Spray a muffin tin with cooking spray.

Sift together the sifted flour, baking powder, and salt.


Cream the butter and sugar in mixing bowl til light and fluffy. (I heated the butter in the microwave for 15 seconds first.)


Separate the eggs and beat the egg yolks in a small bowl til thick and lemon colored.


Blend the beaten egg yolks well with the creamed mixture.

Add the flour mixture alternately with the lime juice (Do not overmix - I didn't wait until the flour was completely mixed before adding the juice.)


Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.


Carefully fold the whites and lemon peel into the batter.


Fill muffin cups 2/3 full. (Makes 12)


Combine the sugar (stevia) and cinnamon and sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon on each muffin. (I keep this mixture in a small spice bottle and just sprinkled some on top of each muffin.)


Bake 15 - 20 minutes. (15 minutes worked in my oven.)

Remove muffins by running a knife around the inner edge if necessary.


Cool on wire rack. 


Nice warm.
   







Remember you can print the recipe using the print icon below. You will have the option to remove images when the print window opens. If you do not see the print icon below, you need to scroll back up to the title for this post (just under the date) and click or tap on it. That will take you to just this post and the print icon will be at the bottom before the share icons. Home will take you back to my blog and the most recent posts. You can also get back there by clicking on my blog title My Patchwork Quilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment