Wednesday, July 29, 2015

PIZZA MEAT LOAF

Meat loaf is one of my husband's favorite entrees. When we go out to eat, if meat loaf is on the menu and he wants more than a salad, he will usually order it. 

Friend Janice and I went to estate sales on Thursday last week so that Friend Fran could also go with us. (We also went to a couple Friday morning...it's just not Friday if we aren't going to estate sales.) I didn't see too many cookbooks but finally chose one at one of the sales. It was compiled by the Apache School PTA in Overland Park, Kansas (Apache Appetite Delights).

When I saw Sandra Moore's recipe for Pizza Meat Loaf, I knew I had to make it.  I didn't tell my husband I was making it and when he saw it on the table when I called him to dinner, he grinned and gave me a big smile. Since he prefers ground turkey instead of ground beef, I made it using half of each. He thanked me for doing so when I told him.



PIZZA MEAT LOAF

1       can (10.75 oz) tomato soup
1/4   cup water
1/2   teaspoon crushed oregano
1       small garlic clove, minced (I used 1 teaspoon dried minced garlic)
1       cup oats or bread crumbs (I did use quick oats)
1/4   cup chopped onion
2      tablespoons parsley, chopped
1       large egg, beaten
1       teaspoon salt
1/2   teaspoon pepper
1       cup shredded Mozzarella cheese or 2 slices Mozzarella cheese
1       lb ground meat (I used 1/2 lb ground beef and 1/2 lb ground turkey)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.


Blend soup, water, oregano, and garlic in a bowl.


In another bowl, combine 1/4 cup of the soup mixture, with the oats, onion, parsley, egg, salt, and pepper using a wooden spoon.


Mix in the meat. 
You get the best results if you are using two different ground meats if you use your fingers. If you are just using ground beef, a spoon will work to combine. The more you work with the mixture, the more compact the meatloaf will be when it is done.


Shape into a loaf pan.


Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Spoon off fat. (I didn't have any.)


Pour remaining soup mixture over the loaf.


Top with cheese.


Return to oven and bake until cheese is melted and soup is heated (bubbly) 7 - 10 minutes.







Remember, if you wish to print this recipe using the print icon below, you will be given the option to "remove images" when the print window opens. If you do not see the print icon below, you need to go back to the title of this post and tap/click on it. Then just this post will open and the print button will be included with the share buttons at the bottom. Home will return you to the blog and the most recent posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment