Monday, July 20, 2015

GERMAN CHOCOLATE PIE

Lately I have been craving chocolate and especially wanting to make a chocolate pie. The hard part has been trying to decide which would be a good recipe to try. There are so many.

When the Northland New Neighbors' League Mexican Train group met at Friend Fran's house, the gathering was small - only 5 of us. As soon as I saw this, I decided it would be a perfect time for me to make a pie....a chocolate pie. Finally!

As I said, I had so many choices and kept changing my mind until the night before I had to make it. The recipe I finally chose was one I had in my recipe box of older recipes. Since I started my blog, I don't use it any more. What I mean is I don't add any more recipes to it. It won't hold any more cards anyway so I guess it is a good thing. I have so much trouble whenever I try to look through it. I end up just pulling out a whole section of cards...I can grab hold of the tabs for the divisions. 

Everyone thoroughly enjoyed it after we finished our game of Mexican Train. I intended to cut it into 6 servings (which everyone agreed that would have been too big) but forgot and cut it into 8 servings. That meant though I could bring a piece home for my husband and leave the rest for Fran's daughter and sil.



GERMAN CHOCOLATE PIE

1       (8- or 9- inch) unbaked pastry shell (I used my 8-1/2 - inch pie plate)
1       (4 ounce) package sweet cooking chocolate (German)
1/4   cup margarine or butter (1/2 a stick)
1        (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk (I used fat free)
1/2    cup unsifted flour
1        teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8    teaspoon salt
2        eggs, beaten
1-1/3 cups flaked coconut
1        cup chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.


Prepare pie crust.


In a heavy saucepan, over LOW heat, melt the chocolate bar and butter.


Remove from heat and 


add the milk, flour, vanilla, salt, and eggs; mix well.



Reserving 1/4 cup coconut for garnish, stir in remaining coconut and nuts.



Pour into pastry shell.


Garnish with remaining coconut.


Bake 40 to 50 minutes or until top is firm and coconut is lightly browned.

Cool thoroughly before cutting.





Garnish with a dollop of whipped cream if desired. (I intended to do this but forgot the whipped topping at home. Next time I won't forget it.)

Remember, if you wish to print this recipe using the print icon below, you will be given the option to "remove images" when the print window opens. If you do not see the print icon below, you need to go back to the title of this post and tap/click on it. Then just this post will open and the print button will be included with the share buttons at the bottom. Home will return you to the blog and the most recent posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment