Thursday, July 23, 2015

APPLE-NUT COFFEE CAKE

I don't drink coffee. Never really have. When I was little, my maternal grandmother would treat us (me and my cousins) to a little cup of coffee. She had these little green cups. I think she put a lot of milk in it and probably sugar too. Anyway, that was always a special time for us growing up. When I got older and first went to college, I tried drinking coffee, but quit when I realized I had almost as much sugar in the cup as I did coffee. True story. I promise.

Anyway, if I did drink coffee, I think this Apple-Nut Coffee Cake would taste great with it. It tastes even better the second day... so moist.

It was just what I needed after a busy afternoon of making a dessert (Turtle Cake) to take to a party and another batch of apricot jam. According to my recipe card the recipe came from Better Homes and Garden, but I don't know any particulars. 



APPLE-NUT COFFEE CAKE

1/4       cup shortening
1/2       cup sugar (I used 1/4 cup stevia/sugar baking blend)
1           large egg
1/2       teaspoon vanilla
1           cup flour 
1           teaspoon baking powder
1/4       teaspoon baking soda
1/8       teaspoon salt
1/2       cup dairy sour cream (I used vanilla Greek yogurt)
3/4      cup finely chopped peeled apple
1/4       cup chopped nuts
1/4       cup brown sugar
1/2       teaspoon ground cinnamon
1           tablespoon butter, melted

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8 x 8 - inch square baking pan.


Cream shortening and sugar together.

Add egg and vanilla; beat well.


Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.


Add flour mixture to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream (yogurt) beginning and ending with the flour mixture.




Fold in apple.


Spread batter in baking pan.


Combine nuts, brown sugar, cinnamon, and butter.


Sprinkle over batter.


Bake for 30 to 35 minutes.

Cool on wire rack for 10 minutes before cutting.







Remember, if you wish to print this recipe using the print icon below, you will be given the option to "remove images" when the print window opens. If you do not see the print icon below, you need to go back to the title of this post and tap/click on it. Then just this post will open and the print button will be included with the share buttons at the bottom. Home will return you to the blog and the most recent posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment