Tuesday, June 9, 2015

ZUCCHINI BARS

Once again I find myself going back to my new favorite cookbook from Amish and Mennonite Kitchens that I got at an estate sale. I can't help it. I haven't found one yet that wasn't a winner! 

When I saw the recipe for Zucchini Bars, I immediately was attracted to it because unlike so many zucchini recipes I have found, it didn't call for a ton of sugar. I know, I am exaggerating, but maybe you know what I mean. This one called for only 1/2 cup each brown sugar and granulated sugar. Wow! Then I noticed it was made in a 10 x 15 x 1 1/2 - inch pan. That's when I decided it would be just the thing to make for the volunteers at Hillcrest Thrift Shop. Just as I expected, they loved them. They are really, really good. I think you could make them in a 9 x 13 - inch pan and just not as long. The bars would be thicker but probably not too thick.



ZUCCHINI BARS

3/4     cup butter or margarine (1 1/2 sticks)
1/2      cup brown sugar (I used 1/4 cup brown sugar/stevia blend)
1/2      cup granulated sugar (I used 1/4 cup truvia - stevia/sugar blend)
2         eggs
1          teaspoon vanilla
1 3/4   cup flour (I used half and half whole wheat pastry flour and all - purpose flour)
1 1/2   teaspoon baking powder
1         cup shredded coconut
2        cups shredded zucchini
1/2     cup nuts, chopped (I used walnuts)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 10 x 15 x 1 1/2 - inch pan. (I used my homemade Pan Grease.)

Peel and grate 1 - 2 zucchinis to make 2 cups.


Beat butter until light and fluffy.


Gradually beat in sugar.


Add eggs and beat well.

Add vanilla.


Sift together flour and baking powder. Stir into egg mixture.


Stir in zucchini, coconut, and nuts. Batter will be thick.


Spread evenly into pan. 
When the batter is thick and can't be poured, I drop spoonfuls around the bottom of the pan.
Then I take a spatula and blend the mounds together to cover the entire bottom.


Bake for 40 minutes.


Cool.




Frost with a butter cream frosting flavored with a bit of cinnamon and vanilla.


Cut in bars to serve.









My recipe for a butter cream frosting (the cookbook didn't give one)

Butter Cream Frosting

1/4       cup butter/margarine
3          cups powdered sugar
2 - 3    tablespoons skim milk
1          teaspoon cinnamon sugar ( 3 tablespoons stevia + 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon)

Cream butter til soft. Gradually add 2 cups powdered sugar. Add milk a spoonful at a time for required consistency. Add the last cup of powdered sugar and cinnamon sugar. Spread thinly to cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment