Wednesday, June 3, 2015

SKILLET BLACKBERRY COBBLER

The other day when my husband and I were in Aldi's just getting some milk, he spied some White Chocolate Blackberry Greek Yogurt. (I admit I had seen it earlier in the week when I was shopping alone and decided to pass it up.) Well, my husband couldn't pass it up. It did look good. I told him we could get it and I would make a blackberry cobbler to go with it.

I had seen a recipe by Grace Richmond of West Virginia in a "new" cookbook I got at an estate sale two weeks ago called The Best of Desserts and I decided I would make it sometime. Well, sometime came sooner than later. 

I did use stevia for the sugar to reduce calories. My experience has been that even though stevia is supposed to be 400 times sweeter than sugar, when I bake with it, the results are not sweet. It works great in my iced tea though. Anyway, I didn't think the "dough" was sweet at all. My husband thought it was just perfect and sweet. If you like sweet, you could always use sugar for the 1/2 cup that goes in the batter and use stevia over the strawberries.


SKILLET BLACKBERRY COBBLER

4         cups blackberries
2         tablespoons cornstarch
1-1/2   cups sugar, divided (I did use stevia)
1          stick of butter (1/2 cup)
1/2      cup milk
1/2      teaspoon salt
1/2      teaspoon vanilla extract
1          cup flour
1          teaspoon baking powder

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Mix blackberries, cornstarch, and 1 cup of sugar in a large bowl. (I used frozen blackberries that I separated. I combined the sugar and cornstarch and placed a layer of blackberries in a large bowl and then sprinkled some of the sugar mixture over them and repeated until I had used all of the blackberries. This way I had a good coating on all of the blackberries.) Spread the blackberries in a 9 - 10 inch iron skillet. (You can use a  9 - inch square baking dish if you don't have an iron skillet.)

Combine the butter, milk, salt, vanilla, and 1/2 cup of sugar in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently.

Remove from the heat and cool to lukewarm. (While the mixture was cooling is actually when I placed the blackberries in the skillet.) 

Stir in the flour and baking powder to the lukewarm liquid.

Spread over the blackberries. (My mixture was thick and so I scooped out small amounts and dropped them over the blackberries to generally cover the blackberries.)

Bake for 45 minutes.



Serve with ice cream.




No comments:

Post a Comment