Tuesday, June 2, 2015

APPLE CRUNCH

Last time I was at Hillcrest Thrift Shop there were bags of apples in the community room for the volunteers. One of the volunteers told me to take home as many as I could and use them to make something for them to eat. The bag said they were Jonathan apples so I took two bags. 

When I got them home and took them out of the bags, my husband said they were Red Delicious not Jonathan and that was probably why they had brought them to the thrift shop. I have never baked Red Delicious apples but I had three Granny Smiths in the refrigerator to make this Apple Crunch to take to the volunteers.

Kathy Yenni's recipe was in the Wakefield Community Cooks cookbook. There was another recipe for Apple Crunch submitted by someone else, but it was really different. 

The volunteers thought it was delicious.





APPLE CRUNCH

1         cup flour
3/4    cup rolled oats
1         cup brown sugar
1         teaspoon cinnamon
1/2     cup butter, melted (1 stick)
4        cups sliced apples
1         cup sugar (I used stevia)
2        tablespoons cornstarch
1         cup water
1         teaspoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease or spray a 9 x 9 - inch square pan.

Mix flour, rolled oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, and melted butter until crumbly. 


Press enough to cover the bottom of the pan. (I reserved a little more than 3/4 cup.)

Cover with the apples.

Combine sugar, cornstarch, water, and vanilla in a saucepan.

Cook until clear and thick. (It might not look clear in the pan but it is no longer white. When you pour it over the apples it will be clear.)

Pour over the fruit covering all of the slices.

Top with remaining crumbs.

Bake for 1 hour.

Cool 

and cut into squares


and serve

No comments:

Post a Comment