Monday, April 27, 2015

PIONEER CHOCOLATE CAKE

Last Monday was the last day for my husband to go over to Fort Leavenworth in the tax office. The last few months seems to have gone by really quickly. He enjoyed the work and I liked that it was some place for me to share my treats. I guess I will be taking goodies to Hillcrest Thrift Shop more than just on Tuesday when I volunteer now.

Trying to find something that sounded yummy, I found myself once again searching through the Wakefield Community Cooks cookbook. Assuming this Pioneer Chocolate Cake recipe was used by pioneer women, I am sure they didn't use a Bundt pan to bake it in. It did make a cute little Bundt cake, but it was smaller than a normal one. I think it was probably baked in a  regular pan about 8 x 11 inches.

It is super moist tasting just like it looks in the pictures. My husband expected it to be sweeter tasting. I did reduce the sugar calories by using a sugar/stevia blend, but that usually doesn't reduce the sweet taste. 


PIONEER CHOCOLATE CAKE

2         cups flour
1/4      cup cocoa
1-3/4  cups sugar (I used 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons truivia baking blend)
1          tablespoon baking soda
1/2      teaspoon salt
1          cup buttermilk
2/3     cup oil
1          cup boiling coffee

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a Bundt cake pan. (I used my homemade Pan Grease.)


Sift together the dry ingredients.


Stir in coffee. (I made a cup of coffee. Put it in the microwave on high for 1 minutes to boil.)


Stir in buttermilk and oil. Stir to smooth.


Pour into pan.


Bake for 35 - 40 minutes. (35 minutes was enough in my oven. I did check it with a toothpick.)

Cool in pan for 10 minutes (I forgot to take a picture of it when I took it out of the oven)
before removing to finish cooling on wire rack.


Can sift a little powdered sugar on top before serving.


Cut and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment