Thursday, April 30, 2015

CRANBERRY ORANGE ALMOND BREAD

I haven't made any mini sweet bread loaves in a while. A new Sprouts Market opened last week nearby. Because I had "liked" their Facebook page, I was invited to their pre-opening the evening before they officially opened and had a 10% off my total purchase coupon. 

We mainly brought fruit and the like that were on special, but I did buy some Bob's Red Mill whole wheat pastry flour. I knew I didn't have much left and I haven't been back to Jamesport, the Amish community in north central MO om a while where I usually buy it.

When I emptied the flour into a ziplock bag to store it in the refrigerator, I kept the bag the flour came in because of the good sounding recipes on it. 

This morning I decided I needed to make one of the recipes...The Cranberry Orange Almond Bread. I prefer to make smaller loaves so I can freeze one or two to eat later. Since the recipe used a 9 x 5 - inch loaf pan, I knew I could make two loaves in my Pyrex mini loaves.

This bread is so delicious! I don't think the mini loaf will last long at all.


CRANBERRY ORANGE ALMOND BREAD

2         cups whole wheat pastry flour
1          cup sugar (I used 1/2 cup of truvia baking blend)
1          teaspoon baking powder
1/4      teaspoon baking soda
1          teaspoon salt
6         tablespoons butter, melted
1          egg
2/3     cup buttermilk
Zest of 1 large orange (I used McCormick's Valencia orange peel)
1/3     cup orange juice
1/2     cup almonds, chopped
1         cup dried cranberries

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a 9 x 5 - inch loaf pan or two mini loaf pans.

In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.

In a small bowl, whisk together the butter, egg, buttermilk, orange zest, and orange juice.

Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until just combined.

Gently fold in almonds and cranberries.

Pour batter into prepared pan(s).

Bake for 45 - 50 minutes for one loaf or 35 - 40 minutes for mini loaves. Check with a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf.

Cool in pan for 10 minutes.

Move to wire rack to cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment