Monday, March 16, 2015

IMPOSSIBLY EASY FRENCH APPLE PIE

Last week while we were enjoying the warmer temperatures in Arizona, I shared the rest of the recipes from the February gathering of the Tasty Bunch at Friend Judy's house. It was definitely a meal that those of us in attendance won't forget anytime soon.

I do plan to share with you pictures from our week in AZ in a few days. The week went by faster than we would have liked, but we had a great time and I have some fabulous pictures to show you.

It will probably take me most of the week getting used to daylight savings time (that has always been my experience). This time it might be even harder though. We are not getting used to one hour but two hours difference now that we are back home. Daylight savings time went into effect the night we arrived in AZ, but as you may know, AZ doesn't participate in it. That meant while we were in AZ, local time in KC was 2 hours ahead of us instead of 1 as it is normally.

I did receive an email from Betty Crocker last week sharing a recipe for an apple pie called Impossibly Easy French Apple Pie. It looked interesting and I decided I would make it after we got back home. 

Not having anything "sweet" in the house to eat, I made it yesterday afternoon and enjoyed a piece of it last night after dinner. It was so easy to make and so good. I did a little to reduce the calories by using stevia for the sugar in the pie, but I did go on and use the 1/2 cup of regular brown sugar for the streusel. My philosophy is "Every little bit helps", but you can use regular sugar in the pie if you prefer. It was plenty sweet enough with the stevia though. I also increased the amount of apples called for in the recipe. I would have used even more, but I wasn't sure how it would work with the filling mixture.


IMPOSSIBLY EASY FRENCH APPLE PIE

Filling:

4        cups sliced peeled apples
1         teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4     teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2     cup reduced fat biscuit mix
1/2     cup stevia
1/2     cup milk
1         tablespoon butter or margarine, softened
2        eggs

Streusel:

1/2     cup reduced fat biscuit mix
1/3     cup chopped nuts
1/4     cup packed brown sugar
2        tablespoons firm butter or margarine*

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Spray a 9 - inch glass pie plate with nonstick cooking spray.

In a medium sized bowl, mix the sliced apples with the combined cinnamon and nutmeg;
place in the pie plate.

In a medium bowl, stir the remaining filling ingredients (biscuit mix, stevia, milk, butter, and eggs) until well blended with a whisk.  
Pour the mixture over the apples in the pie plate.

In a small bowl, mix all of the streusel ingredients until crumbly. 
Sprinkle over the filling.
TIP!! Since the butter is firm, try grating the butter to aid in the process of combining the ingredients.

Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. I did bake it the full 45 minutes.


Cool at least 5 minutes before serving. (I waited longer than that.)








Store in the refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment