Monday, February 23, 2015

SLOW COOKER APRICOT BBQ CHICKEN

For at least 10 years now, my husband and I have tried to watch our intake of sugar. We used to be more diligent than we have been the last few years, but we make a conscious effort most of the time. If you visit my blog often, you know that I use substitutions in my baking to reduce sugar. 

High fructose corn syrup is an ingredient in many foods. It helps make them taste really good. But since my husband and I don't think it is a good addition to foods we eat, we avoid buying products that contain it. I had a jar of orange marmalade in my pantry that I was going to use with this recipe. I changed my mind when I noticed it had high fructose corn syrup. Fortunately I had a jar of sugar-free apricot jam. I decided to use it. It is hard to find a BBQ that does not contain high fructose corn syrup, but there are some out there. You just have to read a lots of labels sometimes.

My sil Sondra posted this recipe recently on Facebook and I saw it. My dil Sara then commented that she made it all the time; that it was a favorite of theirs. The recipe said to cook the chicken for 3 hours and then add the sauce and cook for 30 more minutes. Sara commented that she didn't cook the chicken first before adding the sauce. I decided to cook the chicken for 1 hour since the chicken had been frozen and I thought the pieces might have some excess water. I don't think it really makes any difference. I think just adding the sauce the last 30 minutes would mean the chicken isn't flavored as much as it is if the chicken cooks the entire time in the sauce. 

Since I had a box of five chicken breasts fillets, I decided to go on and cook all five. We will just have leftovers. I think I will cut the leftovers into chunks and freeze them for sandwiches later or add to a salad.



SLOW COOKER APRICOT BBQ CHICKEN

4 - 5      chicken breasts fillets, thawed
3/4        cup apricot jam (I used sugar free) You can also use orange marmalade, but unless it is sugar free, it will probably have high fructose corn syrup.
3/4        cup BBQ sauce (I used one without high fructose corn syrup)
1            tablespoon soy sauce

Spray a large slow cooker with cooking spray for easy cleanup.

Place chicken breasts in slow cooker and cook one hour on high. *If it is more convenient for you, you can cover the chicken with the sauce mixture when you place them in the slow cooker and cook them for 3 - 1/2 hours on high.

Pour off any juice/water in slow cooker. I didn't have too much.

Combine the jam, BBQ sauce, and soy sauce in a medium bowl.

Pour over chicken breasts covering all.

Continue cooking for 2-3 hours. (They should cook a total of 3-1/2 hours. If they are done before you are ready to eat, reduce to "keep warm" if you have that setting on your slow cooker.)

Serve with rice or your favorite vegetable.

No comments:

Post a Comment