Thursday, February 19, 2015

ALMOST BETTER THAN BRADLEY COOPER CAKE

I have seen cake recipes before called Better Than Sex.... To be honest I have never actually looked at the recipe close enough to see how they are made. I saw this recipe in a cookbook of Kansas Cookers for 125 years. It was a recipe from the Heart/Epsilon Omega Sorority and was called Almost Better Than Harrison Ford Cake. I remember Harrison Ford when he was younger and could sorta understand how he might have a cake named after him. But the title kinda "dates" the cake. I'm not sure some younger cooks would appreciate the title. So I just decided to update the title and call it Almost Better Than Bradley Cooper Cake. Feel free to choose "whomever" (if you don't agree with my choice) if you want to add this recipe to your collection.

And you will if you try it. 

I made it for the downstairs volunteers at Hillcrest Thrift Shop for Tuesday. I have changed my shift to the first shift and that means I am not arriving early while they are eating lunch to serve them whatever I bring. Well, Tuesday, a couple of people walked by the register to go back to "work" and praised the cake. When Dale came on to relieve me, he told me I had better hurry into the community room because the cake was going fast! 

I did hurry because I hadn't cut it before I came and needed to take a picture to show you. Well, it was almost gone. I couldn't believe it. As soon as I entered the room, they started talking about it. They had been having a discussion about what kind of cake it was. Jim was excited when I said German chocolate. He said he "knew" German chocolate. 



ALMOST BETTER THAN BRADLEY COOPER CAKE

1       pkg. German chocolate cake mix
1       can sweetened condensed milk
1       jar caramel topping (my jar was 17 oz and I only had about 3/4 of it in the jar and that was plenty)
1       8 - ounce container whipped topping, thawed
Chocolate syrup

Make and bake the cake according to package directions.

Pour into a greased and floured 9 x 13 - inch pan. (I used my PAN GREASE. I can't believe how great this is! )


While the cake is baking, place the jar of caramel topping in a pan with about an inch of hot water on the stove on low to heat and make it easier to spread.

Remove the cake from the oven 


and poke holes in the cake with the handle of a wooden spoon.

Pour the can of condensed milk over all the holes and spread between holes.

Pour the caramel topping over all.

When cake has totally cooled ( I waited at least an hour), spread whipped topping over the cake.

Refrigerate overnight.

The next morning drizzle chocolate syrup over top.

This is all that was left when I went in the community room at the end of my shift...

No comments:

Post a Comment