Wednesday, January 21, 2015

RICH CHOCOLATE CHIP PEANUT BUTTER COOKIES

As I mentioned yesterday Monday was my return to the kitchen after being "away" for almost a week because of a cold. I knew I had two things I had to make....the Ice Cream Cake for Hillcrest Thrift Shop Volunteer Mark's birthday and something for my husband to take to the tax office at Fort Leavenworth. 

But what I was really craving was a cookie! So often, that is  just what I want...just a little something sweet. So before I started either one of the things I HAD to do, I found myself looking for a cookie recipe that I could whip up quickly.

This recipe is one of those *FREE recipes that you get in mailing advertisements. I'm sure you have gotten those. I always open them to see what recipes I might find and like. I had saved this one and thought it would be a perfect one to make. My husband loves peanut butter cookies and I used to make them all the time for him. 

I guess they called it Rich because they also used peanut butter chips so it was rich in peanut butter taste. I wanted rich but when I looked, I saw I didn't have any peanut butter chips. Not to be outdone though, I thought, "What goes better with peanut butter than chocolate!" 

So the end result was these delicious Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Cookies. They were so good in fact, that I made a second batch right after I finished the first one. I decided to experiment though and will show you my results.


RICH CHOCOLATE CHIP PEANUT BUTTER COOKIES

1         cup packed brown sugar (I used 1/2 cup brown sugar blend in one batch I made)
1/2     cup peanut butter (I did use natural peanut butter)
1/2     cup butter or margarine, softened (I did each one)
1         egg
1-1/4  cups flour
3/4    teaspoon baking soda
1/2     teaspoon baking powder
1/4     teaspoon salt
1         cup chocolate chips (I used Special Dark)
granulated sugar

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. 

In a large bowl, beat the brown sugar, butter or margarine, and egg on medium speed until creamy.

On low speed, add the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt that you have already combined with a whisk in a smaller bowl.

Stir in the chips.

Using a cookie scoop and rounding the dough in it (I usually level mine off) roll the dough in your hands to form a ball. Dip the top of the ball in the granulated sugar that you have in a small bowl.

Place the ball of dough on an ungreased cookie sheet with the sugar side up. Do not flatten the cookie.

Bake 8 to 9 minutes or until lightly brown around edges.

Cookies made with margarine and brown sugar blend.

Cookies made with butter and regular brown sugar.

Cool 5 minutes before removing to finish cooling on a wire rack.

Margarine/brown sugar blend cookies....

Butter/regular brown sugar...








My husband and I couldn't really taste much difference in the cookies. The ones made with the butter and regular brown sugar flattened out and the ones with the margarine and brown sugar blend not so much. I kinda liked the looks of the plumper cookie though, but you can decide what you want. I gave the second batch to Friend Cassie's husband Sterling when he came over yesterday to check out my unfinished renovation project in the master bath that he is going to help me finish. Yay! I told him I paid well with delicious baked goods.

Oh btw, the Ice Cream Cake was a big hit at Hillcrest yesterday and so was the German Chocolate Pecan Chip Cake that my husband took to the tax office.

No comments:

Post a Comment