Saturday, January 3, 2015

REFRIED BEAN SOUP

There have certainly been some surprised and disappointed football fans over the last few days. I, on the other hand, was ecstatic when Arkansas beat Texas easily in their bowl game. But after watching what seems like 50 bowl games, I am ready for a break. (Just saw that there is another bowl game on tomorrow night....the GoDaddy Bowl with Arkansas State and Toledo. Guess we will be watching it. I know a new season of Downton Abbey will be on. My DVR is already set to record it.)

The break we are going to get though comes in the form of some really cold weather. Oh, well. I will just have to keep busy baking. It will warm up the house with the oven on and as Friend Janice says, "It keeps me out of trouble." 

This is another recipe from Taste of Home's 2007 Quick Cooking Annual Recipes cookbook, one of the cookbooks I got for Christmas from my older son and his family. It looked easy to make and I thought my husband who likes food with a kick would like it. He did. It was perfect for him to eat while sitting in front of the television watching those football games.



REFRIED BEAN SOUP

1       can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes (I used fresh tomatoes that I had frozen and crushed them in the blender. Then measured out 28 ounces/3-1/2 cups)
1/2   cup chopped onion
1/2   teaspoon minced garlic
1       can (31 ounces) refried beans (I used fat free ones)
1       can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
1       tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
corn tortillas, broken up (optional)
sour cream (optional)
shredded Monterey Jack cheese (optional)

In a large saucepan or dutch oven, bring the tomatoes, onion, and garlic to a boil.  Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered for 5 minutes.

Stir in the refried beans, broth, and cilantro; simmer for 15 minutes.

Garnish soup with chips, sour cream, and cheese if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment