Thursday, January 29, 2015

BLUEBERRIES IN THE SNOW

Tuesday for the Hillcrest Thrift Shop downstairs volunteers I made this fabulous Blueberries in the Snow. I found the recipe in a cookbook from Jones, LA's Holly-Lark Extension Homemakers Club, 1980. It was a cookbook that belonged to my "Auntie" that I got when we went back to my stomping grounds for Thanksgiving this past year. My Auntie, like my other aunts, was a very special lady and I really miss her. The recipe was contributed by Dolora Gregory. Her personal note said it was a very light dessert. I would definite second that idea. I did get to enjoy a helping after my shift at the register was over yesterday. I have to admit I could easily have eaten a second helping. 

The only change I would suggest is using a bigger dish or don't use the whole cake. It wouldn't be a problem if you were making and serving it at your house. But if you have to take it somewhere, it might be a little awkward. It does present itself very well and would be a fabulous dessert to serve your family or guests.



BLUEBERRIES IN THE SNOW

3/4 - 1 angel food cake
1          8 - ounce container of whipped topping
1          8 - ounce pkg. cream cheese, softened  (You could use the reduced fat or fat free cream cheese)
1          cup milk (I used skim milk)
1          teaspoon almond flavoring
1          can blueberry pie filling


Break up the angel food cake into bite size pieces and place in the bottom of a 9 x 13 - inch dish. (Next time I will not use the whole cake.) I pressed them down in the dish, but it was still a lot.


In a large mixing bowl, combine the cream cheese, milk, and flavoring til smooth. I used the whisk attachment to my mixer.
Add the whipped topping and stir til smooth.


Pour over the cake pieces in the dish.

Place in refrigerator to set for several hour.


Add the pie filling and return to the refrigerator til ready to serve.

Store any leftovers in the refrigerator.


Spoon out to serve.






No comments:

Post a Comment