Wednesday, December 3, 2014

UPSIDE-DOWN PINEAPPLE CAKE

I've never made a Pineapple Upside-Down Cake but last Tuesday when I was at Hillcrest Thrift Shop, Val asked me if I could make one to celebrate Dana's birthday. That's Dana's favorite cake. 

Since it would be my first one to make, I spent a little time during the week, trying to find a recipe that sounded good. I found two in my cookbooks and then found another one in an old cookbook my Aunt Virginia showed me that she got with a woodburning stove she once owned. All three recipes were different but all three had two things in common....iron skillet and 1 cup of sugar.  

I ended up making all three of the recipes yesterday morning. I had planned to only make two of them, but when I put the first one (my aunt's recipe) in the oven and turned around to start the second one, I saw it.  The Milk!  I had left out the milk! I couldn't believe it. (I plan to make it again sometime soon and will share pictures of this first disaster then. I call it a disaster because it was, but my crazy husband is eating it.)

I was able to mix up the second recipe, but had to send my husband to the store to get more eggs for the third recipe. The second recipe is the one I am sharing first with you. 

It really had a good taste. 

The recipe came from the Midwest Old Threshers Cookbook 40th Reunion Limited Edition, but didn't give credit to anyone. 



UPSIDE-DOWN PINEAPPLE CAKE

1/4      cup of margarine
2/3     cup of packed brown sugar
1          can sliced pineapple, drained (will need 6 slices)
Maraschino cherries (will need 6)
1-1/3   cups of all-purpose flour
1          cup granulated sugar
1/3      cup shortening
3/4     cup milk
1-1/2   teaspoons baking powder
1/2      teaspoon salt
1          egg

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.


Melt margarine in a 10-inch cast iron skillet.


Remove from stove, sprinkle brown sugar over margarine;


Arrange pineapple slices on top. Place a cherry in center of each pineapple slice.


Beat remaining ingredients in a large bowl on low speed for 30 seconds, scraping the sides of the bowl.

Beat on high speed 3 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally.


Pour batter over fruit in skillet; spread evenly.

Bake until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 35 minutes.


Immediately turn the skillet upside down on a heatproof plate. Let skillet remain over the cake a few minutes. Remove.
Make any repairs necessary. (One of the slices stuck to the pan and I easily removed it and replaced it on the cake.)

Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment