Thursday, December 11, 2014

MRS. JONES' PINEAPPLE UPSIDE-DOWN CAKE

This is the third Pineapple Upside-Down Cake I made on Tuesday to take to Hillcrest Thrift Shop. The recipe was in the Best of Ruby Jones Cookbook. I was fortunate to eat at Mrs. Jones' Cafe near Noble Lake (Pine Bluff, AR) several times.  Not sure when I bought her cookbook, but I am so glad I did. 

When I needed to find a recipe for the cake, Mrs. Jones' cookbook was one of first ones I looked in. I ended up finding three different recipes. And they were different. In the post yesterday I mentioned that the only things that were the same in the three recipes were the iron skillet and 1 cup of sugar.

Mrs. Jones' cake was the thickest cake probably due to the 3 eggs in it....the other two recipes only contained 1 egg. The cake was a very good dense cake that tasted better the next day chilled.




PINEAPPLE UPSIDE-DOWN CAKE

1          cup brown sugar
1/2      cup margarine
3         eggs
1          cup sugar
1-1/2   cups sifted flour
1-1/2   teaspoons baking powder
1/2      cup water
1/4      cup pecans (chopped) (I omitted)
6         pineapple slices
6         Maraschino cherries

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. 


Melt margarine in iron skillet. (I used a 10-inch iron skillet.)


Add brown sugar. Blend well.


Arrange pineapple slices over margarine mixture. Place a cherry in the center of the slice. Sprinkle with nuts, if you are using them.


Cream sugar and eggs together.


Add flour sifted with baking powder.


Add water.

Mix well. Batter is thin.


Pour batter over pineapple slices.


Bake for 25 - 30 minutes or until done.


Invert onto a serving plate. Leave skillet over the cake for a few minutes. If any pineapple slices stick to the skillet, they will remove easily with spatula to be placed on cake.


Store leftovers in the refrigerator.



No comments:

Post a Comment