Monday, December 22, 2014

CRACKER CRUNCH

My husband Wayne says these "goodies" could easily become addicted. I saw this recipe in Company's Coming Gifts from the Kitchen and thought it looked interesting. Unlike most new recipes I try, I made this one two days in a row. 

The first time I made it was for our couple's bridge group. As you can sorta see in the feature picture and then farther down in the post, I followed the recipe except I decided to use a variety of chips to sprinkle on top. I also used half chocolate graham crackers and half honey graham crackers. I thought I would really provide choices for everyone.

One of the reasons I decided to make the recipe again the next day was to make it using a smaller pan. To me the 10 x 15 - inch cookie sheet was too big for the amount of "caramel sauce" the recipe made. I have a cookie sheet that measures 9 x 13 - inches that I used.  If you don't have a cookie sheet that size, it would probably work in a 9 x 13 - inch baking pan.


CRACKER CRUNCH

1 pkg.        whole graham crackers (chocolate ones work great)
2 sticks    butter (not margarine)
1 cup        brown sugar, packed
1 cup        finely chopped pecans
sprinkle    ground cinnamon
3/4 cup   chocolate chips or butterscotch chips or your favorite chip

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a cookie sheet, 9 x 13 - inches.

Line cookie sheet with graham crackers, trimmed to fit. (I ran out of the chocolate graham crackers.)

Combine butter and brown sugar in medium saucepan. 
Heat and stir until mixture starts to boil.

Boil for 3 minutes, without stirring.

Pour evenly over graham crackers - spreading with wooden spoon as necessary. (This picture was from the first batch I made using a bigger pan. You can see how thin the mixture is over the honey graham crackers on the left side.)

Sprinkle with nuts and sprinkle with cinnamon.

Bake for 7 to 9 minutes until bubbly.

Sprinkle with chips. 

Cool.

Cut into pieces.

I do like using different chips as I did with the first batch. I sprinkled one third of the surface with Andes baking chips, another third with vanilla flavored red and green colored chips, and the last third with butterscotch chips. I liked the Andes baking chips the best, but my husband and Ed liked the butterscotch chips the best.  That's why I decided to use butterscotch chips for the second batch that I took to Hillcrest Thrift Shop.

1 comment:

  1. Research shows that best brown rice has the highest antioxidant activity of all the varieties, making it a nutritious choice ( 7 ). Antioxidants are compounds that protect cells from damage caused by an excess of molecules called free radicals, which contribute to a condition known as oxidative stress.

    ReplyDelete