Tuesday, December 9, 2014

A NEW SCARF

I'm off to a late start, but I have one scarf finished and am working on my second one now. I like finding different patterns to knit and make scarves. 

You see...I'm not too advanced at knitting.  As with so much, I know just enough to get me into trouble. I tried making a vest when I was a lot younger, but never got more than the front made. I did make a poncho for my oldest granddaughter Hallie when she was around 2. It was very easy to make.  I just made two rectangles and then sewed them together. I should ask my granddaughters if they would like one. 

The pattern I chose for this scarf was one I saw online. The person called the pattern Indian Corn. I liked how it looked in her picture, but I had some questions with the pattern instructions. I thought I would search Indian Corn Pattern and see if I could find answers to my questions. Fortunately I found quite a number of sites.  I didn't have to visit many though before I realized the pattern she created didn't look anything like all of the sites I was visiting.

SO...I'm not sure what you call this pattern, but I like it and it's fairly simple to produce.


This is what it looks like so far:


Scarf Pattern:

Cast on a number of stitches that is a multiple of 4 (evenly divisible by 4). I cast on 24.

Any size needles. I used US 8. 

Cast on stitches.

Row 1: *YO - K2, (Pass the YO over the K2), K2* repeat pattern across 

Row 2: Purl across

Row 3: *K2, YO - K2 (Pass the YO over the K2)* repeat pattern across 

Row 4: Purl across

Repeat these four rows until you have the desired length.

I had to experiment with the pattern before I could get started with the scarf. (That's why the yarn is different in these few tutorial pictures.)

The first YO is hard to show in a picture but just wrap the yarn around the needle in your right hand.


You can tighten it when you knit the first stitch.


Knit 2 and then pull the YO over 
the two knitted stitches.








Things to remember....


There are two knit stitches between the two knit stitches that you pass the yarn over.


The Purl Row ... you are always looking at the wrong side. 






When I am finished, I will have to block it as the edges curl. (I tried to flatten it as much as I could for the pictures.)

No comments:

Post a Comment