Thursday, November 13, 2014

THE BESTEST CHOCOLATE CAKE

We went to visit our older son and his family this past weekend in CO. Fortunately, we left Monday before the Arctic Blast made its presence known.  The wind was so strong on us driving that we didn't even drive the speed limit most of the way back. 

I only had a few hours that night after getting home to decide what I was going to bake the next morning to take to Hillcrest for the volunteers.  (I definitely didn't want to wait until Tuesday morning to decide.) I really wanted to repeat a recipe I made a couple of weeks ago for them (I wasn't happy with the topping and wanted to try it another way), but realized I needed apple cider and I was out. 

The best I could come up with in a short while turned out to be the best chocolate cake Ellie and Bobbi had eaten.  That's why I decided to call this cake The Bestest Chocolate Cake.  "Bestest" is my word. It comes from my southern upbringing. I was inspired by Ann Shorey's recipe called Potluck Chocolate Cake.




THE BESTEST CHOCOLATE CAKE

CAKE: 

1       cup margarine (2 sticks)
1       cup water
1/4   cup baking cocoa
2      cups all-purpose flour
1       cup sugar/stevia blend
1/2   teaspoon salt
1/2   cup light sour cream
2      eggs
1       teaspoon baking soda

FROSTING:

1/2      cup margarine, at room temperature
3-3/4 cups powdered sugar
1/4      cup baking soda
1          teaspoon vanilla
3         tablespoons skim milk
1/2      cup chopped pecans 

Preheat oven to 30 degrees F. Grease or spray a 9 x 13 - inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.


In a medium sized saucepan bring margarine, water, and cocoa to a boil, stirring with a whisk until smooth.


Cool to room temperature. (I poured the mixture in a bowl and put in the refrigerator to speed this process.)


In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar/stevia blend, and salt.


Add the cocoa mixture; beat on low speed just until combined.


Add the sour cream, eggs, and baking soda; blend until smooth.


Pour batter into baking pan.


Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center, comes out clean.

Cool on a wire rack.




Prepare the frosting:


In a mixing bowl, cream the margarine.







Combine the powdered sugar and cocoa with a whisk in a large mixing bowl.


Gradually add the sugar mixture to the margarine, mixing well with each addition.  Scrape the sides of the bowl often.


Beat in the vanilla and enough milk to achieve the consistency you wish for spreading.  (I added 3 tablespoons of milk. Feel free to add more if you like.

Add the nuts.


Frost the cake.








Refrigerate until ready to serve. Store leftovers in the refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment