Tuesday, November 25, 2014

SNAPPY PUMPKIN DESSERT

Friend Fran agreed to host our Farkle group that met yesterday if I would furnish the dessert. She doesn't do much cooking anymore and I offered to make the dessert for her whenever she was the hostess. So far it has worked out well for both of us. 

I wanted to make a pumpkin cheesecake but it wasn't going to be enough for nine. I decided to make this pumpkin dessert since it would be more than enough to serve.  I have had the recipe for a number of years. Remember that 5 - subject spiral notebook I have talked about before that I started to organize recipes I wanted to try. If I make something and don't like it, I can simply remove it from the page. (Right after I started making it Sunday afternoon, Fran sent me a text telling me that one of the ladies wasn't coming afterall. Oh well, I will get that pumpkin cheesecake made eventually.)

You can reduce calories by using sugar-free instant pudding mixes and sugar-free whipped topping.  Since the layer of cream cheese is so thin, a fat-free cream cheese would work.

I also use my whole wheat gingersnaps that I bake and then crumble them and freeze to use for recipes. They are also lower in calories. You can find the recipe HERE.

The result is a light tasting pumpkin dessert that everyone enjoyed. 



SNAPPY PUMPKIN DESSERT

2-1/2 - 3   cups finely crushed gingersnaps (You want to cover the bottom of the baking dish.)
1/2            cup margarine, melted
1               package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened or at room temperature
1/2           cup powdered sugar
2              tablespoons skim milk

Topping:

3              cups cold skim milk
2              packages (4 servings each) instant vanilla pudding mix (sugar free works)
1               can (15-oz) solid-pack pumpkin
2 - 1/2     teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
2              cups whipped topping
Additional whipped topping, optional

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.


Combine crumbs and margarine in bottom of 9 x 13 - inch baking dish.
Press evenly in the dish.

Bake for 10 minutes and then cool.





In a mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese til completely smooth, and then add the powdered sugar and milk until fluffy. Spread over the crust. (It will be a think layer.)


In another mixing bowl, beat the milk and pudding mixes for 1 minute.


Add the pumpkin and pie spice to the pudding mixture; beat until well blended. Fold in whipped topping.


Pour over the cream cheese layer.

Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours. (I made mine the night before.)


Cut into squares...


and serve plain....


or garnish with a dollop of whipped topping sprinkled with additional pumpkin pie spice.

No comments:

Post a Comment