Wednesday, November 26, 2014

PUMPKIN OATMEAL CUPS

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving Day.  Many families will be gathering to celebrate this day set aside for giving thanks. Many families may be celebrating sometime this weekend but just not on Thursday. Those people are truly blessed.

Today I find myself excited because my husband and I will be celebrating the day with my last remaining aunt and her family. Then Friday we will be visiting with my 90 year old uncle and his wife. It will be almost like long ago. We are truly blessed.

I also find myself thinking about and remembering those people who won't be celebrating tomorrow with family because they are serving our country away from home. I pray they stay safe and return home soon to family and a celebration.

Seeing the homeless man recently who was trying to find a family that would adopt him for the day reminds me of those people who also probably have memories of families gathered around a bountiful table but not anymore because they are alone and without a home. Hopefully they will be able to enjoy a special meal at one of the many available charitable locations.

The recipe I am sharing today is a good one for several different situations. I made them and my husband and I are enjoying one each morning for breakfast (storing them in the refrigerator and heating them up in the microwave.). If you have children, they would also be a good, easy breakfast for them.  They hold together so well, they are perfect for grabbing one on your way out the door to enjoy on your way to work or to run errands or maybe to get those good deals on Black Friday. I couldn't help but think how easy they would be for Thanksgiving morning when the "cooks" are busy in the kitchen preparing that bountiful feast everyone is going to enjoy later in the day, and not really wanting to be distracted by having to prepare breakfast.  Anyway, the recipe deserves a second look.  

    
PUMPKIN OATMEAL CUPS

1         15 - oz can pumpkin
1/2     cup skim milk
2        eggs
1         tablespoon baking powder
3        cups oats (I used old fashioned)
1         tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
1/3     cup brown sugar
2 - 3  tablespoons dried cranberries

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.  Spray muffin tins to make 12 oatmeal cups.


Combine the pumpkin, milk, eggs, and brown sugar in a large bowl with a whisk.

Combine the oats, baking powder, spice, and cranberries.


Add dry mixture to wet mixture and stir til combined with a wooden spoon.


Fill the muffin cups full - it will not rise as it bakes.


Bake for 20 - 30 minutes until they are firm to touch and the edges are just starting to turn brown.


Cool a bit before eating.  May need to loosen edges with a knife to remove.

No comments:

Post a Comment