Friday, November 14, 2014

MAC 'N PIZZA CASSEROLE

After being away either on vacation or visiting family, a big adjustment for me when I get home is having to cook again. I will date myself with this statement, but in our house the response to "What's for dinner?" is usually, "That's the $64,000 question."

Well, after spending the weekend in CO with our older son and his family, I had to come up with something for dinner Tuesday night. I had two different recipes I had copied from dil Sara's cookbooks for casseroles that I thought I would try.  The problem was that I didn't reread them before running to Aldi's for milk and a few more items and then to work my shift at Hillcrest Thrift Shop. So when I got home and started getting out the ingredients, I realized I didn't have all of the ingredients for either casserole.  Too tired to really think, I decided to just combine the two recipes and came up with this Mac 'n Pizza Casserole. 

Well, my husband and I really enjoyed it. Since it is just the two of us, we had enough for two meals and then I froze the rest for another time. Next time, I will make two smaller casseroles.....bake one and freeze the other. When we are ready to eat the frozen one, I will let it thaw and then bake it for the 25 minutes. All of the ingredients are done when you bake it. So really all you are doing is heating it through and melting the cheese.




MAC 'N PIZZA CASSEROLE

1       lb. ground beef
1       teaspoon minced onion
1       teaspoon minced garlic
1       jar (25-28 oz) jar spaghetti sauce (I used a tomato basil flavor)
8      oz. dry pasta (I used 1-3/4 cups macaroni)
2      cups (8 oz) shredded part skim mozzarella cheese
1       6 - oz bag of pepperoni diced

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F or 325 degrees F if using a glass baking dish.


Cook meat and minced onion and garlic in skillet over medium heat. Drain, if necessary.

Cook the pasta as directed on package. Drain.


Add spaghetti sauce and diced pepperoni to the cooked meat. Stir.


Stir in pasta. 
(I had to do this carefully as it was a lot in my skillet.)


Spray a 9 x 13 - inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Spoon  and spread mixture in the dish.


Sprinkle the cheese on top.

Bake for 25 minutes uncovered.

Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment