Wednesday, November 2, 2022

BUTTERSCOTCH PUMPKIN CAKE

UPDATE!! 

Last Thursday as Friend Janice and I were just starting out to estate sales, I received a text from Friend Vicki letting me know she was thinking of me because she was making my Butterscotch Pumpkin Cake for the church friends meeting at her house that night. Vicki was in Hope Circle back when we hosted the district meeting for the United Methodist Women that I write about below. They ended up moving to the Atlanta suburbs a few years later though.
 
A few weeks ago Vicki and her husband Don were visiting some of Don's family nearby and we met together to get caught up on our goings-on. At the time she told me she made several of my recipes from my blog including this recipe. Since I was driving, I had to wait until lunch to text Vicki back.

I told her about the problem I had every time I made the cake with the melted butterscotch cooling into blobs when I tried adding it to the cold mixture. She answered back that she had finally figured out after making the cake the second time to melt the butterscotch chips and immediately add it to the canned pumpkin. (The recipe had said to let the melted chips cool and add it at the end.) Well, I thanked her for her suggestions and told her I would have to make the cake soon. It really is a delicious cake!

So Sunday during church I decided I needed to make a treat that afternoon and bring it to church the next morning for Staff Appreciation Month. I don't usually wait until the last day of the month to "appreciate" them, but October just got away from me.

Well, the first cake I made Sunday afternoon worked out great with Vicki's suggestion, but it stuck to the Bundt pan and I had to make another one after dinner. I ate some of the "stuck" portions so I knew I had to make it again. It was as good as I had remembered and had no butterscotch blobs. I also knew I had to update this post with the corrections because the cake is just too good to pass up. I do hope you will try it. I replaced all of the pictures with new ones, too. I did not use the stevia this time but you definitely could.


October 29, 2014

I cut this recipe from Nestle back in 1999 and put it in my spiral notebook of "to try someday" recipes.  Someday finally came  12 years later. I don't remember why, but according to my notes, I made it 3 times within a week and a half. 

When Hope Circle, the United Methodist Women's unit, at our church had to host the district meeting, I suggested this cake for dessert. We made four of them at the church for the luncheon. 

When I needed something to bake for Hillcrest Thrift Shop on Tuesday, I wanted to make something using pumpkin. As soon as I saw the recipe in my notebook, I knew it was the one to make this time. Since I am always trying to cut calories especially from sugar, I decided to use all stevia for the sugar. I know when I cook with stevia, the result is never as sweet tasting as it would be if I had used the sugar.  But this time I thought it was worth a try since there would be the sweetness from the melted butterscotch chips.  

I wasn't disappointed. I personally thought it was just perfect. Everyone at the thrift shop is always so complimentary so I asked them to tell me honestly if they thought it tasted good.  They agreed with me. I'm always glad when I find a recipe that the substitution works so well.

PRINT recipe only.




BUTTERSCOTCH PUMPKIN CAKE

1         cup butterscotch chips
2         cups all-purpose flour
1-3/4   cups stevia or sugar
1         tablespoon baking powder
1-1/2   teaspoons ground cinnamon
1         teaspoon salt
1/2      teaspoon ground nutmeg
1         cup pure pumpkin (canned)
1/2      cup canola oil
3         large eggs
1         teaspoon vanilla extract
powdered sugar (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Spray or grease and flour a 12 - cup tube pan. (Make sure you grease and flour good. Vicki said she uses Baker's Joy that includes flour.)


Combine the flour, stevia (sugar), baking powder, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg in a medium bowl

with a whisk or slotted wooden spoon.



Measure the pumpkin into a medium sized bowl.



Microwave the chips in a microwave-safe bowl on high for 15 seconds. Stir. Repeat this process until chips are almost melted. (3xs for me.) Continue to stir until completely melted and smooth.



Add to the pumpkin.

Whisk until smooth.

Add the oil, eggs, and vanilla;

whisk until smooth and then add to the flour mixture stirring until blended.

Pour into prepared pan. 

Bake about 50 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the center of the cake.


Cool in pan on wire rack for 30 minutes.




Invert serving plate over cake and

remove to cool completely.










Sprinkle with powdered sugar. I made a leaf design for the staff's cake.









This is how I made the leaf pattern....




I placed a fake leaf on the cake...






I sifted a little powdered sugar over the leaf...






Lift the leaf.... (I forgot to take a picture of the cake after just doing the first leaf, but c
ontinued four more times being careful not to sift any sugar over the other "leaves".




Serve....






No comments:

Post a Comment