Tuesday, November 4, 2014

BUTTERFINGER DESSERT SQUARES

I started to say since Halloween had passed, I decided to make this dessert with our leftover Butterfinger candy bars. But I have to admit, I did buy two packages of the Fun-Size Butterfinger candy bars just to make this recipe. While I used 1 bag in the dessert and three bars from the second bag to crush for the top, if you wanted to only buy one bag, you could just save 3 of the bars to crush for the topping. BUT if you really like Butterfingers, I would say buy the second bag, use 3 for the topping and then enjoy the rest. You could also use other candy bars, just for best result, I would recommend not using ones with a caramel-like filling. You need to be able to crust the candy bars.

I needed a dessert to take to our monthly Dinner Club dining group Saturday night and thought that this would be a good one to take.  I had to work with the recipe from Taste of Home because I needed to feed 16 people and didn't want to make two pies. Everyone was very pleased with the results.


BUTTERFINGER DESSERT SQUARES

CRUST:

1- 1/2 pkg graham crackers, crushed
1        stick + 2 tablespoons margarine, melted
6       tablespoons stevia

FILLING:

2        pkgs. cream cheese, room temperature
2        8 - oz containers whipped topping, thawed
1         bag (11.5 oz) fun size Butterfinger candy bars

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  

In a 9 x 13 - inch baking dish, combine the crushed crackers and stevia. Add the melted margarine and press the crust evenly on the bottom of the dish.

Bake for 8 minutes and allow to cool.







In a large mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese til smooth and light.

Add the whipped topping.

Crush ( I used a sharp knife and shaved, finely chopped the candy bars on a cutting board.) all but 3 of the candy bars. 

Add the candy bars to the cream cheese mixture and stir completely to combine.

Spread the mixture over the top of the crust.

Sprinkle the last three candy bars that you have also crushed over the top.






Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.  I made mine Friday night and kept it in the refrigerator until ready to serve Saturday night. It doesn't need to sit out before cutting and serving since it wasn't frozen.

2 comments: