Monday, November 10, 2014

BANANA GINGERBREAD

The first things you might notice when you check out this recipe for Banana Gingerbread is that it contains no eggs or oil or milk.  I rechecked the recipe to make sure I hadn't missed them when I was mixing it up.  The batter is thick but the banana and molasses provide enough moisture to make a batter. AND it only has 89 calories/slice.

The recipe came from Sandra Woodruff's cookbook, Secrets of Fat-Free Baking. I have made quite a few recipes from this cookbook and have been surprised how good they are considering they would be thought as "healthy" baked goods.  I made it to take to our son, Patrick's hoping grandchildren Madison and Tyler might like the gingerbread taste with the banana taste. I did decide to cut one of the ends off so I could see how it tasted. I liked it and hope they do also.  I wanted to make another loaf to take to our grandchildren in CO, Colby, Hallie, Sadie, and Henry, but I didn't have enough bananas.  Maybe we could make it while we are there visiting. *




BANANA GINGERBREAD


2        cups whole wheat pastry flour
1/4     cup toasted wheat germ
1         teaspoon baking powder
1         teaspoon baking soda
1-1/2  teaspoons ground ginger
1         teaspoon ground cinnamon
1-1/2  cups mashed ripe banana (about 3 large)
1/4     cup molasses

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.  Spray 8 x 4-1/2 - inch loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray. (I used a similar size pan that is a little longer but a little narrower than required.)

Combine the flour, wheat germ, baking powder, baking soda, ginger, and cinnamon in a large bowl and stir to mix well.

Add the banana and molasses to the dry ingredients and stir just until dry ingredients are moistened.

Spread the batter in loaf pan. 

Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the center of the loaf.

Cool loaf in the pan on wire rack for 10 minutes.

Remove from pan and continue cooling before slicing.





Update:
I wrote this post Wednesday night after coming home from our visit with our younger son Patrick and his family.  We are now in CO visiting with our older son Jeffrey and his family.  I had hoped to make a loaf to bring with us but I didn't have enough bananas. 

Friday morning before  we left, I measured out the ingredients and brought them with us to CO.  Saturday morning Granddaughters Hallie and Sadie and I had fun making the loaf. Here are some pictures of our fun morning.


Hallie mashing the bananas....I couldn't let a teaching moment go by though. The only measuring cup we could find was a 1/4 cup. So we had to figure out how many times we would have to fill the cup to make 1-1/2 cups. I loved it! And they did, too!
Sadie stirring up the ingredients....



and stirring the ingredients until finally all done....


Hallie wanted to help put the batter in the pan


In the pan ready for the oven....



and 40 minutes later (the pan we used was bigger)



Grandson Colby said he hoped it tasted as good as it smelled. (It did. Everyone enjoyed it with our lunch.)

No comments:

Post a Comment