Monday, October 27, 2014

RAW APPLE DESSERT

Our quilting group decided to get together for an afternoon of canasta at Dorothy's recently.  After having several days of really beautiful Indian Summer days, we woke up to rain in the early morning hours.  The forecast had been for early rain and temperatures in the higher 60s. But with only a couple of hours of that glorious sun midmorning, the clouds moved back in and so it was a perfect afternoon to just stay in with friends and play cards.

If you follow my blog, you know that I love to play games. You also know I enjoy winning. Well, the last two or three times we have played, I have not been on the winning team. So "winning" was definitely on my mind that morning when I was getting ready to go.  

I make a big deal out of whether I win or not, but I have to admit, winning or losing, we always have a fun afternoon when we gather. We also always have dessert....a good dessert.  And this time was no different. And as usual Dorothy was prepared for me. She knows I usually will just take a picture of the recipe. Well, this apparently is a favorite recipe of hers by the looks of her recipe card. Sweet Dorothy had rewritten the recipe on another card for me to take a picture of because she hated for me to have to take a picture of her "well-worn" card.

The Raw Apple Dessert was the perfect conclusion for the afternoon.  I know it is one I will have to make sometime soon.




RAW APPLE DESSERT

Cake:

1       cup sugar
1/4   cup butter or margarine
1       egg, beaten
1       cup flour
1       teaspoon cinnamon
1/4   teaspoon nutmeg
1       teaspoon baking soda
1/2   teaspoon salt
2      cups diced raw apples
1/2 - 1 cup chopped nuts

Caramel Sauce:

1/2    cup brown sugar
1/2    cup white sugar
1/2    cup butter or margarine
1        cup evaporated milk

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. 

Prepare the cake:

Cream together the sugar and butter til smooth.

Add the egg.

In a separate bowl, sift together  the flour cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, and salt.

Add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture.

Fold in the apples and nuts.

Spread in a 9 inch square pan.


Bake for 45 minutes. Cool.








Prepare the sauce:

Combine the ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil and boil for 5 minutes, stirring.

Allow to cool.


Cut the cake into 9 squares. Can serve with or without sauce. 



Oh, btw, we won by quite a bit, but they were gracious losers.

No comments:

Post a Comment