Saturday, September 27, 2014

WAR EAGLE'S WHOLE WHEAT SWEET POTATO WAFFLES

Most Sundays we eat "breakfast" three times.  First, we usually have our normal breakfast (cereal for my husband and yogurt for me). Then we usually go out after church to Roxanne's Cafe for our second breakfast. When it's time to eat in the evening, we are often not that hungry and I find myself making waffles or pancakes for us to eat our third breakfast. 

This past Sunday was no different.  It was a little later than I like to eat, but we got involved watching the KC Chiefs football game on TV. I found this recipe in a cookbook I got at an estate sale from War Eagle Mill called War Eagle Mill Whole Grain Cook Book by Zoe Medlin.  When we lived in Fayetteville, AR we went to War Eagle Mill several times (usually because we were going to their big craft fair the third weekend in October). When I saw the cookbook, I just had to buy it.

The cookbook had a basic recipe for Whole Wheat Waffles and below it two variations - one for blueberry waffles and one for sweet potato waffles.  I had blueberries but decided I would try the sweet potato version since we love sweet potatoes and dishes made with sweet potatoes.  Because of the time, I took the convenient route and opened a can of sweet potatoes and used enough of it to equal the 1/2 cup.





WAR EAGLE'S WHOLE WHEAT SWEET POTATO WAFFLES

1        cup whole wheat flour (I did use whole wheat pastry flour)
2       teaspoons baking powder
1/2    teaspoon salt
1/2    teaspoon baking soda
1        tablespoon brown sugar
1        cup buttermilk (I use 1 %  buttermilk)
1/4    cup oil
1        egg
1/2    cup mashed sweet potatoes

Mix together in a medium bowl the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda, and brown sugar) with a whisk.

In a separate bowl, mix the buttermilk, oil, egg, and sweet potatoes.

Add the dry ingredients and stir to combine.


Pour into a heated waffle iron.


Will make 3 waffles.

No comments:

Post a Comment