Tuesday, September 23, 2014

SPICED APPLE GRANOLA BARS


I am always looking for snacks that are low in sugar and calories.  I don't need the calories and since my husband has been working out at the Y and has lost at least 20 pounds, he doesn't want to eat high calorie foods.  He also doesn't like food that is real sweet. This recipe worked out great for him.  It would be a good snack to give to children, too.

I saw this recipe at Cookies with Friends.   It called for apple butter but she included the substitutions using just applesauce so that is how I wrote it.  I always buy unsweetened applesauce or applesauce sweetened with Splenda.  She also said that canned pumpkin worked in place of the applesauce. I used the raisins that the recipe called for, but I think you could use any dried fruit, such as dried cranberries, apricots, dates, etc.


SPICED APPLE GRANOLA BARS

1        cup unsweetened applesauce or pumpkin
2        tablespoons brown sugar ( I used 1 tablespoon brown sugar blend)
1        teaspoon cinnamon
1/4     teaspoon nutmeg
1-1/2  cups rolled or quick oats
1/2     cup pecans, coarsely chopped
1/4     cup raisins (or your favorite dried fruit)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (350 degrees F if using a glass pan).  Line a 8 x 8 - inch pan with parchment paper and lightly spray with cooking spray.


Combine the first four ingredients in a medium bowl.








Coarsely chop the pecans.









Add the nuts and raisins.








Press mixture in pan.  (I have a hard time with parchment paper conforming to a pan.  I made sure the paper would fit in the pan and then just plopped a glob of the mixture in the center.  I took my fingers and pressed the mixture evenly to the edges. Then I cut off the paper on one side that was long.)











Bake 35 minutes until edges are lightly brown and center is set.









Allow to cool.

Remove from pan using the parchment paper.  







Cut into serving sizes 12 - 16 squares.









Store in an airtight container for up to a week.




No comments:

Post a Comment