Saturday, September 13, 2014

SKINNY PEACH COBBLER

After dinner the other night, I decided I wanted a little sweet.  I looked through a couple of cookbooks and found Sande Wilcher's recipe for Peach Cobbler in my Colonial Cooks! cookbook.  I have found so many recipes in this cookbook compiled by Colonial Presbyterian Church in Overland Park that I found at an estate sale earlier this summer. I announced to my husband that I was going to go make some peach cobbler.  (He just laughed.) I didn't take a picture of his serving he got for himself, but it was twice as much as I mine was.

I toyed with the idea of using stevia or a sugar blend in place of the sugar and finally decided to use the stevia.  It would be sugar free then or I guess I should say "no sugar added" since the peaches have natural sugar. I know that stevia isn't as sweet in baking, but that just allows the natural flavor of the fresh ripe peach to come through.  You can make it as you like.  




SKINNY PEACH COBBLER

3/4       cup flour
1          cup stevia or (1 cup sugar)
1-1/2    teaspoon baking powder
Dash of salt
3/4       cup milk
1          stick margarine
2          cups fresh sliced peaches
1/2       cup stevia or (1/2 cup sugar)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (for a glass baking dish) or 350 degrees for other.  Melt margarine in an 8 - inch baking dish in microwave.

Whisk together the flour, stevia, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.

Slowly stir in the milk to make a batter.


Pour the batter evenly in baking dish. (Do not stir.)


Toss the sliced peaches with the 1/2 cup of stevia to coat. (If using stevia, allow to set for a minute or two for the stevia to make some juice with the peach slices.


Arrange the peaches on top of the batter.


Bake for 45 minutes at 325 degrees F. or 40 minutes at 350 degrees F. Dough should be cooked through.


Sprinkle with cinnamon if you like.


Enjoy warm. Personally it doesn't need ice cream, but add a scoop if that is how you like it.


No comments:

Post a Comment