Sunday, September 21, 2014

PEACHY MUFFINS

This recipe for Peachy Muffins was one of the two recipes I copied from dil Sara's Prairie Kitchen Sampler cookbook. The footnote said "When it's the fresh peach season, make these muffins with the sugary tops."  

Well, it is fresh peach season so I decided to make these muffins. BUT I forgot the "surgary tops".  I realized it too late to sprinkle the brown sugar on top.  I was afraid they wouldn't taste good, but they did.  I was also afraid they were going to taste dry because the batter was so dry, but they weren't.  I thought I would add the topping the next time I make them, but I'm not sure I will. You can choose either way. I used light sour cream instead of fat free sour cream because that is what my husband bought when he did some shopping for me.




PEACHY MUFFINS

2       cups flour
1/3    cup brown sugar, firmly packed (I used 2 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons brown sugar blend)
1        teaspoon baking powder
1/2    teaspoon salt
1/4    teaspoon baking soda
1/8    teaspoon allspice
1        fresh peach, peeled and chopped, enough to make 1/2 cup
1        egg
1/4    cup melted margarine
1        cup sour cream (I used light sour cream)
2       tablespoons brown sugar, firmly packed (optional)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.  Grease a 12 - muffin  muffin pan.


In a large bowl, sift flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, baking soda, and allspice.


Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients.

Add peaches.


Make another well in the bowl.


In a small bowl, beat egg.  Add margarine and sour cream; 
blend well.


Pour into center of the dry ingredients.  
Stir just to moisten dry ingredients, about 12 strokes--batter will appear lumpy. (The mixture was really dry and took more than 12 strokes to moisten the dry ingredients.)


Put batter into prepared pan; filling muffins cups two-thirds full.







Optional:  Sprinkle each muffin evenly with the 2 tablespoons of brown sugar. ( I forgot to do this but was satisfied with my plain-topped muffins.)


Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until muffins are browned and test done. (I used my shallow muffin tin and baked mine for 15 minutes.)


Cool for 10 minutes on wire rack.

Remove.

No comments:

Post a Comment