Thursday, September 4, 2014

PEACH TEA BREAD

I made this Peach Tea Bread a couple of days ago in some little mini pans I had since that seems to be what Barbara Small used for the Hardware Cafe in Liberty, MO.  Monday morning while my husband was sleeping in, I decided to make it again but this time use my regular mini pans.  It is really easy to make and only takes two peaches. The little diced peaches are so cute when you cut a slice and bite into it.

I recently found out that the Hardware Cafe has closed.  I am so disappointed that I never ate there.  I found the cookbook at an estate sale and bought it.  The really crazy thing was ... the very next sale we went to, you guessed it, had the very same cookbook. I have made, I think, four different recipes from it so far and still have more to try. 

The only change I made from Barbara's recipe was using stevia/sugar blend for the sugar and thus reducing the amount in the recipe by half. I think you could probably use canned peaches when you don't have fresh ones. Just chop them up finely. The taste will be a little different since you won't have that fresh peach taste.

It makes a really attractive loaf.




PEACH TEA BREAD

2 - 1/2    cups flour
1              cup sugar (I used 1/2 cup stevia/sugar blend)
1              tablespoon baking powder
1/2          teaspoon salt
1/4          teaspoon nutmeg
1 - 1/2     cup chopped peaches
1              tablespoon lemon juice
1/3          cup oil
1/3          cup skim milk
2             eggs
2             teaspoons vanilla
1/3          cup chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Spray three mini loaf pans or 1 large loaf pan with non stick cooking spray.

Mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, and nuts in a large bowl with a whisk.

Chop the peaches and add the lemon juice to coat.

Mix the oil, milk, eggs, and vanilla in a medium bowl.

Add the liquid mixture to the dry ingredients, batter will be thick.


Add the peaches about half at a time and mix with a wooden spoon. Do not overmix, but make sure you distribute the peaches through out the batter.




If making the three mini loaves, divide  the batter evenly between the three loaf pans.


Bake for 40 - 45 minutes for the mini loaves or 50 - 60 minutes for the single large loaf.

Cool for 10 minutes on a wire rack.


Remove from pan and continue cooling.



Here are the little mini loaves I made earlier.


The darker pans are attached to each other and as you can see in the picture are smaller than the individual mini-mini loaf pans. I really like the four attached ones.  I bought it at an estate sale but have not seen another one since. We see the others ones often. My mother had some that I sold in their estate sale.  I still remember one of the ladies from the bank, grabbed them up as soon as she came in the house. (I was teaching school back then and didn't have much time for baking and decided I didn't want them.)


Anyway they made some cute "little" personal size loaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment