Tuesday, September 30, 2014

DUTCH PEAR DESSERT



You might be seeing lots of recipes using pears over the next few weeks as the pears start ripening on our pear tree.  It didn't get trimmed earlier this year and then we just let the weather sorta take care of thinning out the blooms (which it didn't help us out much) and so our tree has been and still is loaded with pears.

I have made two "batches" of pear sauce to give to grandchildren Madison and Tyler.  A filled Crock Pot cooked down to 5 cups of pear sauce.  I divided each batch into five 1 cup "servings" and froze them in sandwich bags that I then placed in gallon size freezer bags. (I usually end up reusing the freezer bags this way.) You can read how to do this HERE.

I was inspired by a recipe I saw from Betty Crocker and came up with a "slimmed-down" recipe that I call Dutch Pear Dessert. While it was delicious warm, we are really enjoying it cold. 

DUTCH PEAR DESSERT

Filling:

1       cup fat free sour cream
1/2    cup stevia (or you can use sugar)
1       teaspoon flour
1       teaspoon vanilla extract
1       egg, beaten
3 - 4  cups coarsely chopped fresh pears (peeled and cored)

Topping:

1      cup flour
1/4   cup packed brown sugar blend (or you can use 1/2 cup brown sugar)
1/2   cup (1 stick) less fat margarine

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F if using a glass baking dish or 350 degrees F for metal. Spray dish with non-sticking cooking spray.


Combine the filling ingredients in large mixing bowl.




Combine topping ingredients using a fork or pastry cutter until crumbly. I ended up using my fingers at the end to make sure it was consistent.


It is easier to do this if you add the margarine to the flour/brown sugar mixture by thinly slicing it.




Spread mixture evenly in baking dish and then sprinkle the topping on top.


Bake for 40 to 50 minutes. (I baked mine 45 minutes.)






Store covered in the refrigerator. 

No comments:

Post a Comment